none
Custom Screentips/tooltip on a pivot table RRS feed

• Question

•  

I would like to display some custom text about a row label while hovering over the cell (mouse-over)

I have selected the "show contextual tooltip" (pivot table options | Display) - is there any way to customize what this displays?

Unfortunately inserting a comment or a hyperlink is not possible on a pivot table. 

A comment with some VBA code to dynamically display hints would have been ideal!

Any ideas on how to achieve this?

Appreciate the help!

• Moved by George123345 Tuesday, April 7, 2015 9:42 AM Excel dev issue
    Monday, April 6, 2015 7:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As you said you want to customize the tooltip on a pivot table when hovering your mouse over it.

In fact the function is not built in Office. Due to the dynamic nature of the pivot table, the comment and hyperlink couldn’t fulfill your requirements. When you filter the data of pivot table the comments still stay with those cells, and the results are not your need.

I think the VBA code might offer a workaround for your problem. When select event object in excel is triggered, it links to Text Box which include the contents of your need.

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 9:44 AM
  • Hi vvijay777,

According to the description, you want to custom the context tooltip for the pivot table. As far as I know, Excel doesn't provide such kind of customization.

>>A comment with some VBA code to dynamically display hints would have been ideal!<<

I think this is also hard to achieve since Excel object model also doens't support the mouse hover event.

If you want Excel to support this customization, I suggest that you submit the feedback from link below:
    Submit Feedback - Microsoft Support

Regads & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 2:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As you said you want to customize the tooltip on a pivot table when hovering your mouse over it.

In fact the function is not built in Office. Due to the dynamic nature of the pivot table, the comment and hyperlink couldn’t fulfill your requirements. When you filter the data of pivot table the comments still stay with those cells, and the results are not your need.

I think the VBA code might offer a workaround for your problem. When select event object in excel is triggered, it links to Text Box which include the contents of your need.

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 9:44 AM
  • Hi vvijay777,

According to the description, you want to custom the context tooltip for the pivot table. As far as I know, Excel doesn't provide such kind of customization.

>>A comment with some VBA code to dynamically display hints would have been ideal!<<

I think this is also hard to achieve since Excel object model also doens't support the mouse hover event.

If you want Excel to support this customization, I suggest that you submit the feedback from link below:
    Submit Feedback - Microsoft Support

Regads & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 2:34 AM
  • Thanks, Fei.

Have submitted the feedback.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 12:46 PM
  • Thanks for the hint. I will explore this option as a work-around.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2015 12:47 PM
  • I am looking for the same customization of mouseover effect - have you found anything useful?
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 12:19 PM