Context menu for Add Items in Solutions window RRS feed

• Question

• In the Solutions WIndow containing the Header Files, Resource files, and Source files, you can
    right click the Source files folder to add files etc to it. One of the members of the menu is
    'Add Filter'.  This choice permit you to add sub folders under source files folder, and more
    folders more deeply nested if you wish.

Why is this menu choice labeled 'Add Filter' ?  I needed to add sub-folders because my code
    is structured into subfolders of files and I wished to keep the same tree structure within
    VC++ 2008, that I use in the directories themselves.

What does Filter mean here ?
    Saturday, May 31, 2008 12:03 AM

Answers

• Good question, I have wondered about that too.  It seems designed for some kind of tool to discover structure in a .vcproj file.  Your source code control system could be one of those tools, you can set the SCC Files property to indicate whether files are checked-in or not.  Not actually sure if this really works, I didn't integrate mine.  If there's any tool that uses "Parse Files" or the GUID, I haven't found it yet.

As far as building goes, "filters" don't seem to have any effect.  The $(ParentName) macro can give you the filter name, it didn't work properly when I tried to use it (not getting expanded in time).  Using it for your own purpose isn't going to get you a lot of trouble, I think.

Hans Passant.
    • Marked as answer by Yan-Fei Wei Thursday, June 5, 2008 5:24 AM
    Saturday, May 31, 2008 2:14 AM