How is XML and XSLT used in modern N-Tier architectures today? RRS feed

• Question

• I have seen a lot of job postings recently for server side and ASP.NET where the qualifications include knowledge of XML and XSLT.  Why are these two technologies so important?
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 4:54 PM

All replies

• XML is very useful for AJAX or SOA based applications.  For one reason, rather than requesting a whole page I can send a snippet of data to the server and it can send me back a packet of xml as the result.  This allows me to update a section of my web page rather than the entire web page.

Another use of this is to use XSD to mock up your object model which can then be transformed in a class structure.  From there you can easily serialize your classes to xml and back based on that XSD which then allows you to pass your object model between applications or tiers of your framework.

Of course XML can also be used to store data instead of a database.  You can then use XSLT to transform that data into something more useable by your application.

Lots to do with XML!  This description doesn't even begin to scratch the surface.
    Andrew Siemer www.andrewsiemer.com blog.andrewsiemer.com www.socialnetworkingin.net
    • Proposed as answer by Andrew Siemer Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:31 AM
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 9:45 PM