none
project files corrupted?

Question

• Sorry, amateur calling! All of a sudden I have a backgammon project (dating back to 2004) refusing to work, both in VS2008 debugger and as a release .exe file. I have the same project on my laptop, where it compiles links and loads normally. Copying my project directory from laptop to desktop doesn't help, only certain files .sln, .dsw,.dsp are corrupted. There was no recent change in source files, and the release version is also not working. Corrupt library? Corrupt intermediate?

I'm running Win 7 (64)

I'm sure this is an easy fix for you experienced programmers.. . what am I doing wrong? I'm pretty sure the source files (.cpp, .h) are OK.

How do I create a clean project and recover my work?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike.

Monday, February 15, 2016 9:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• I'm sorry. I guess I was just tired last night. The answer was obvious,The registry key was corrupt and as soon as I deleted and made new, all problems melted away.

Thanks anyway.

Mike.

Monday, February 15, 2016 4:14 PM
  • Hi spywriter,

I'm glad that you have resolved your problem and thanks for sharing your solution here. Please mark your reply as answer, which is benefit to other communities who has the same problem.

If any questions about Visual Studio IDE in future, please feel free to come back to our forum creating new thread.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 6:22 AM
  • Thanks Weiwei!

I keep forgetting what a great resource this forum is.

Mike.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 6:51 AM
  • Help!

Now my symptoms are similar but the circumstances are different:

symptoms: program will not start from desktop icon, partially cured by renewing reg key

New circumstances:

I tried to upgrade from VS2008 to VS2015, including disabling bit defender

after 2nd install I can start VS 2015, but after it changed  my source files I cannot load this old project into VS 2008 even load my backgammon application in VS 2008, and VS 2015 does not exist according to the OS (Win7(64) . desktop icon non existent. VS 2008 will not load the old source files so I could at least rebuild. also release version of the EXE does not do anything.

worse: I had a coincidental crash of my backup drive last night. dead.

no way to reload earlier version in VS2008, and project directory contains none of the .cpp files. ( 5 different projects! ) All deleted!

Ouch! Help!

Mike.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 7:27 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Since this thread has been closed for a long time, I suggest you create a new thread in our forum to describe your issue. It could let other communities join into your thread to help you resolve this issue.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 9:22 AM