SharePoint Best Practice Analyzer error RRS feed

• Question

• I can't seem to get the hang of running the BPA on Windows Server 2008.  The download page says Server 2003 is supported.  I receive the following:

Unhandled Exception: System.Security.SecurityException: The source was not found
    , but some or all event logs could not be searched.  Inaccessible logs: Security
       at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.FindSourceRegistration(String source, String m
    achineName, Boolean readOnly)
       at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.SourceExists(String source, String machineName
    )
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.BestPracticesAnalyzer.Tracer.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.BestPracticesAnalyzer.Tracer.TraceLog(TraceSeverity s
    everity, String trace)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.BestPracticesAnalyzer.Tracer.Enter(String function)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.BestPracticesAnalyzer.SharepointBpaCommandLineMain.Ma
    in(String[] args)
    The Zone of the assembly that failed was:
    MyComputer

The Security log does exist.  Any help is appreciated,
    Rheff
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, June 6, 2009 8:03 AM general q (From:SharePoint - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation)
    Friday, June 5, 2009 8:16 PM

Answers

• It does work on Windows 2008.

I'm guessing here but make sure you download the install file to the server your running it on and unpack it there.  It might be  quirk of .net CAS polcies as trhis error is often seen when trying to execute code from a network share, and you must run the BPA on one of the MOSS servers.

Perhaps you should also ensure its running with appropriate farm level access rights.

Regards

John Timney (MVP)
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 3:51 PM

All replies