none
SQL Server in Availability Group - BAM configuration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have the SQL Servers 2016 in a availability group - on which BizTalk 2016 is configured.

To configure BAM we need SSIS installed on the SQL Server, Availability Group.

The DBA says, SSIS is not cluster aware so it cannot be configured along with the Always On Availability Group.  SSIS is installed on individual nodes.

But, in BizTalk configuration, we need to specify the database for BAMArchive ( which should have Database + SSIS installed ) on the same availability group.

How should I proceed to configure BAM.

Regards,

Sharmishtha

Thursday, February 28, 2019 4:04 AM

Answers

• So, the best solution to this problem is to not use AOAG.  AOAG is great, just not with BizTalk Server because it does not offer any incremental benefit to a BizTalk Server setup.

The extra complexity of setting up AOAG, which still uses Windows Clustering, actually makes it a net negative.

If the storage supports clustered drives, then my recommendation is, again, to not use AOAG.  There is nothing a DBA can say that will change that with respect to BizTalk Server.

• Proposed as answer by Colin Dijkgraaf Sunday, March 3, 2019 11:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sharmishtha Monday, March 4, 2019 4:29 AM
    Friday, March 1, 2019 4:38 PM

All replies

• Thursday, February 28, 2019 6:25 AM
  • e.g. the server that I specify against BAM ARchive Database - should have both the Database Engine + SSIS on it. What should we do incase its a Availability group Server Name. The DBA has installed SSIS on each node and not as an availability group. Can the DBA make SSIS available as an availability Group, like the database engine.
    Thursday, February 28, 2019 6:25 AM
  • So, the best solution to this problem is to not use AOAG.  AOAG is great, just not with BizTalk Server because it does not offer any incremental benefit to a BizTalk Server setup.

The extra complexity of setting up AOAG, which still uses Windows Clustering, actually makes it a net negative.

If the storage supports clustered drives, then my recommendation is, again, to not use AOAG.  There is nothing a DBA can say that will change that with respect to BizTalk Server.

• Proposed as answer by Colin Dijkgraaf Sunday, March 3, 2019 11:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sharmishtha Monday, March 4, 2019 4:29 AM
    Friday, March 1, 2019 4:38 PM