Where is the documentation for UserForms and Associated Controls? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, and thanks in advance for help.

I'm asking this question because I occasionally have need to resort to VBA to get something accomplished in my work, but I don't do it regularly.  That means that a lot of the things that are second nature to someone who does do it regularly are not second nature to me.  So, on the occasions when I do program, I need to have good documentation available to keep looking things up - thing that more experienced folks probably never think of.

One of those occasions came up recently and it seemed to me that the documentation that was available was very skimpy.  I was working in VBA within PowerPoint in Office 2010 on a Window 7 computer.  I wanted to put a Combo box on a form and couldn't remember which properties would suit my purpose, so I looked it up in the Object Browser, found the Combo Box entry, clicked Help and got taken to the "PowerPoint2010 Developer Reference," then followed the Table of Contents through

Visual Basic for Applications Language Reference

Microsoft Forms Visual Basic Reference

Reference

Objects

ComboBox Control

Whew!  After all that - the complete entry was as follows:

-----------------------------------------

ComboBox
    Control

Combines the features of a ListBox and a TextBox. The user can enter a new value, as with a TextBox, or the user can select an existing value as with a ListBox.

Remarks

If a ComboBox is bound to a
    data source, then the ComboBox
    inserts the value the user enters or selects into that data source. If a
    multicolumn combo box is bound, then the BoundColumn property
    determines which value is stored in the bound data source.

The list in a ComboBox consists of rows of data. Each row
    can have one or more columns, which can appear with or without headings. Some
    applications do not support column headings, others provide only limited
    support.

The default property of a ComboBox is the Value property.

The default event of a ComboBox is the Change event.

Note
    If you want more than a single line of the list to appear at all times, you
    might want to use a ListBox instead of a ComboBox. If you want to use a ComboBox and
    limit values to those in the list, you can set the Style
    property of the ComboBox so the control looks like a
    drop-down list box.

--------------------------------------------------

That's pretty skimpy, and not particularly helpful.  In particular, there is not list of the members of ComboBox object!  Why ever would you leave that out?!?!?

So, here's the question:  Where can I find a more complete set of documentation?  That would be one that, for example, does list the members of an object and gives an idea what each one is or does.

It may be that lots of folks know this by heart, but I don't.  I'd like to RTFM (as they say), but I cannot find the FM!  Can anybody help me?

JPB

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 7:52 PM

All replies

• Try this

VBA Docs

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 9:53 PM
  • Thanks, Mogulman52, 

I downloaded the help files you kindly pointed me to.  They contained only the same skimpy documentation I quoted in my original query.

I begin to fear that what I'm hoping for might not exist, but I'm not quite ready to give up hope.

Anybody have any more ideas?

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 2:41 AM
  • Re: userform help

The picture I tried to upload causes the reply window to choke, so...
      All of the properies of any control (when selected) on a userform show in the properties window in the VBE.
      (tap the F4 key if the window is not visible)
      Any property can be changed in the section next to the property name.
      Selecting the property name in the properties window and pressing the F1 key displays help for that control.

'---
    Jim Cone
    Portland, Oregon USA
    https://goo.gl/IUQUN2 (Dropbox)
    (free & commercial excel add-ins & workbooks)

• Edited by James Cone Sunday, October 30, 2016 7:57 PM
    Thursday, July 16, 2015 1:53 PM