none
Debug via Serial cable RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

After burning Windows 7-32 image on the target I also installed WinDbg.

On the target I ran:

bcdedit /debug on

bcdedit /dbgsettings  serial debugport:1 baudrate:960

reboot

From the host PC (running XP-32) I tried to connect to the target using WinDbg.

But the connection fails.

Should I add a specific component to the Win7 image ?

Best regards,

Z.V

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 5:52 PM

All replies

• Baud rate 960 should be 9600 correct? Try a baud rate of 115200. Make sure both systems are using the same baudrate.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff556867%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 8:54 PM
  • Hi Sean,

Sorry for the mistake. I configured 9600 on target and one host.

Also tried 115200 on both sides and got same results.

Best regards,

Zvika

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 9:35 PM
  • Is there any error message, or there is nothing on the output?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 12:09 AM
  • What type of cable are you using, you need a special wiring - see this article? Can you debug another machine by using that cable (in meaning of your cable may be defect)?

Ather things that come in my mind - but not sure: Sometimes "serial ports" are provided by drivers from some adaptors, like USB/RS232 converters. IMO kernel debugger ports need ports that can be directly accessed (0x3F8, ...). Also ensure that there are no other devices/services etc. that may use your debug port (however, I think the debugger should get access to the port before any others).

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 7:25 AM
  • Hi Sean, Willi,

I did not get any error messages.

I'm using a crossed RS232 cable. With cable I succeeded to send/receive characters with Hyper Terminal running on the target and host.

Also tried the same with another target running Windows 7-64  (not embedded) and got the same results.

On the target side, should I install WinDbg ? 

Best regards,

Z.V

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 7:15 PM
  • As already mentoined above, you need the cable with the wiring as described here. On my first debugging session I tried the same thing as you did, but common "Nullmodem cable" does not work. Believe me.
    Monday, March 30, 2015 7:12 AM