none
Report Control POST vs. GET for report parameters RRS feed

• Question

• I have a server control we built to put a custom UI for the frontend of RS reports. We use the report viewer to render the report, but think we have a limitation of the post to Reporting Services for a parameter. The value in associated to the dropdown is an XML string. So how do you get the viewer control, or working with RS SOAP via RS API, to use a POST method rather than a GET?

If the user chooses an ALL value for our dropdown it will not render the report, but if they choose a single value it will. The ALL is all the possible values in the list.

Monday, October 19, 2009 1:58 PM

All replies

• Let me also say, I think that is the issue. But I am thinking it could be something internal to RS since the browser does not ever see the real values of the drop down. That seems to be cached on the server, at least if you use the Reports virtual to run the report. I am trying a netmon packet capture and I see SOAP POST messages, so I am really not sure how to try and diagnose this problem. I believe we are hitting some threshold for the amount of data permitted to pass.

I look forward to hearing from others.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 3:47 PM
  • OK I think it is time for  PSS case. I thought we were hitting a limit because of the ReportViewer control not posting. Looking at the IIS logs the SOAP service is getting a post. So something else is messing with my parameters.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:30 PM