none
ISA13 and GS06 not matching RRS feed

• Question

• The files coming out of the EDI assembler have ISA13 & GS06 values that are slightly different. The ISA13 has a number with leading zeros while the GS06 has the same number but without the leading zeros.

I'm having the same issue with the GE02 & IEA02 as well, the numbers match across all four values, except the ISA13 & IEA02 have the leading zeros where as the GS06 & GE02 do not.

I have set the "allow leading zeros" checkboxes, and re-started both my application and the host instance it is using.

How can I make the GS06 (and the GE02) include the training zeros as well? What am I missing?

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:12 PM

Answers

• The answer is quite simple: This is not a problem.

ISA13 is the Interchange Control Number while GS06 is the Functional Group Control Number.  There is not a 1-to-1 relationship between the two.  An Interchange can contain multiple Functional Groups so the most common case is GS06 is greater than ISA13, but even that is not a requirement.

ISA13 is defined as 9/9 because the entire ISA segment is fixed at 106 characters because the Segment Terminator is determined by position 106.  You should notice that ISA02/4/6/8 are all fixed width as well.

GS06 is 1/9 because that is no reason for the GS Segment to be fixed width.

You can manually alter the values of GS06 and GE02 in the pipeline, but there is no reason to.  In fact, any EDI validator would flag the leading 0's as an error.

If you have a trading partner that is asking for this, I would simply refuse and point out that they are asking for non-valid X12.

• Edited by Johns-305MVP Thursday, December 11, 2014 3:49 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Vivin Muthu Thursday, December 11, 2014 4:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Wednesday, December 17, 2014 1:58 AM
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 2:26 AM
  • Hi,

You are not missing anything, this is how it is to be.

Boatseller have given explanation for that, but I think you should get more insights on EDI structure and standard.

Check Out MSDN article X12 Segments. Also following post explain it very well  ISA Segment and GS Segment. Going through provided links should answer you why it is so.

Maheshkumar S Tiwari|User Page|Blog|BizTalk Server: Multiple XML files to Single FlatFile Using File Adapter

Thursday, December 11, 2014 5:02 AM

All replies

• The answer is quite simple: This is not a problem.

ISA13 is the Interchange Control Number while GS06 is the Functional Group Control Number.  There is not a 1-to-1 relationship between the two.  An Interchange can contain multiple Functional Groups so the most common case is GS06 is greater than ISA13, but even that is not a requirement.

ISA13 is defined as 9/9 because the entire ISA segment is fixed at 106 characters because the Segment Terminator is determined by position 106.  You should notice that ISA02/4/6/8 are all fixed width as well.

GS06 is 1/9 because that is no reason for the GS Segment to be fixed width.

You can manually alter the values of GS06 and GE02 in the pipeline, but there is no reason to.  In fact, any EDI validator would flag the leading 0's as an error.

If you have a trading partner that is asking for this, I would simply refuse and point out that they are asking for non-valid X12.

• Edited by Johns-305MVP Thursday, December 11, 2014 3:49 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Vivin Muthu Thursday, December 11, 2014 4:38 AM
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 2:26 AM
  • Hi,

You are not missing anything, this is how it is to be.

Boatseller have given explanation for that, but I think you should get more insights on EDI structure and standard.

Check Out MSDN article X12 Segments. Also following post explain it very well  ISA Segment and GS Segment. Going through provided links should answer you why it is so.

Maheshkumar S Tiwari|User Page|Blog|BizTalk Server: Multiple XML files to Single FlatFile Using File Adapter

Thursday, December 11, 2014 5:02 AM