none
Getting Named Properties via EWS RRS feed

• Question

• I have an application with a need to retrieve the Global Object Id from a calendar event.  I am using direct XML calls to EWS, not the managed API.  I have noted that with Exchange 2013, when I retrieve all properties, I get this item in the UID field.  Perfect, except, the customer I am doing this project for is using Exchange 2007 and that cannot be changed.  Unfortunately his version of EWS is not returning a UID field.  So the first part of my question is - am I wrong about this field not being supported in Exchange 2007?  Or perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

Assuming that is a dead end, I thought I would use the Extended Field URI feature to get the property.  This is the XML that I created:

<ItemShape>
    <t:BaseShape>AllProperties</t:BaseShape>
    <t:BodyType>Text</t:BodyType>
    <t:AdditionalProperties>
    <t:ExtendedFieldURI PropertySetId="6ED8DA90-450B-101B-98DA-00AA003F1305" PropertyName="Global Object Id" PropertyType="Binary" /></t:AdditionalProperties>
    </ItemShape>

Although EWS gives no error to this, all I get is the usual properties, my request for Global Object Id is ignored.  Of course, I have no idea what value I should use for Property Name.  I've observed that I can put any random value in there, and nothing changes.  How can I find out the correct name?  I have tried using a PropertyTag (0x3) but then EWS complains that I cannot do this with named properties.

Help!  I'm getting desperate.

Sunday, February 9, 2014 7:57 PM

All replies

• The Global ObjectId is a Property that was initial set by Outlook if your going way back in Versions so a question for you is what version of Outlook are they are running. You can see the history of the Global ObjectId and why it may not be set in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899919

The best way to confirm if it does exist is use a MAPI editor like MfcMapi or OutlookSpy this will tell you immediately if its available on a Calendar Item.

If you see it okay the one reason your Query may fail is that you are specifying the PropertySetId instead of using the DistinguishedPropertySetId eg you should be using

<t:ExtendedFieldURI DistinguishedPropertySetId="Meeting" PropertyId=
    "3" PropertyType="Binary" />
    Cheers
    Glen

Monday, February 10, 2014 4:18 AM
  • Thanks Glen, that works perfectly.  You are a life saver.

Monday, February 10, 2014 5:08 AM