none
Kinect for Windows UniqueKinectId is always 0000000000000000? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

it seems, that the UniqueKinectId is always "0000000000000000" when a Kinect for Windows is connected (example USB\\VID_045E&PID_02BF\\0000000000000000). Which is not really "unique"...

Is this a bug or by design? Is there a way to get the serial number of a connected kinect sensor?

Best regards,
    Thomas Hetzer

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 2:53 PM

All replies

• I suppose that is how they identify kinect sensor 1 and if so then its built-into the sdk? I will have find out myself though too. Is their any kinect team member available to ask questions to about this matter? If you have serial number of device post it here in case in a few hours a kinect team member responds so you can get better help.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, April 4, 2012 4:46 PM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 4:43 PM
  • We are looking into the Serial number issue right now with the HW team.
    • Proposed as answer by The Thinker Thursday, April 5, 2012 6:08 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Thomas Hetzer Sunday, April 8, 2012 8:16 AM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 10:13 PM
  • Hello Todd,

any news about this issue? I guess this is not only a problem for me, but for eveyone who is working on applications which need for more than one kinect sensor.

Best regards,
    Thomas

Sunday, April 8, 2012 8:21 AM
  • Hi Todd,

I have exactly the same question as Thomas, and I would appreciate it if you could share any updates.

Whereas the unique ID contains apparently the right serial number for Kinect for XBox (like USB\VID_045E&PID_02AE\A0036790xxxxxxxx), it shows all zeros for Kinect for Windows (USB\VID_045E&PID_02BF\0000000000000000). I am developing a kind of library that wraps KinectSDK, and some of my users come back to me and say they expect to see the serial number there.

Could you kindly explain what I should expect to help me to give the right implementation/instruction to my users. Is it a kind of bug and will it give me the right serial number in the future SDK update? Or, is it a kind of final specification?

Thank you very much in advance,
    Tomoto

Monday, September 3, 2012 9:51 PM
  • from the release notes:

Do Not Use INuiSensor::NuiUniqueID or KinectSensor.UniqueKinectId

Do not use the KinectSensor.UniqueKinectId property (or the corresponding INuiSensor.NuiUniqueId method) because of inconsistent behavior between Xbox and Kinect for Windows sensors. Instead, use the KinectSensor.DeviceConnectionId property to identify the sensor based on the USB port it is plugged into.

does that help with your app?

• Proposed as answer by tomoto335 Tuesday, September 4, 2012 3:47 AM
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 12:02 AM
  • Hi Todd,

Thank you very much to direct me to the exact answer, and blame me for missing such an obvious notice in the release note.

Yes, I will go with the connection ID as an interim solution until the issue is fixed (I hope it will someday), and my users will understand it.

Best Regards,
    Tomoto

• Edited by tomoto335 Tuesday, September 4, 2012 3:55 AM
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 3:54 AM
  • I had to search through email to make sure this was actually in the release notes ;)

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 5:38 PM