Theme Brushes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been using the theme brushes in my app, such as ApplicationPageBackgroundThemeBrush and ApplicationForegroundThemeBrush. From what I had seen online before I thought these brushes would pull in the colors of the users selected system color palette, but it doesn't seem to do that. I have the application running from Visual Studio, so I'm not sure if it has to be side loaded or installed from the store in order to use theme brushes. Or do theme brushes not do this at all?

How does theme brushing work?

Thanks,

Andrew

Sunday, August 26, 2012 3:18 PM

Answers

• I knew that was your question. I guess my answer was unclear :-)

To get back to your question: the latter. So the brushes don't get the look and feel the user has set. I think that look and feel is meant for Start and that's it.

• Marked as answer by awm33drexel Sunday, August 26, 2012 7:18 PM
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 7:09 PM

All replies

• Have you explicitly set the brushes in your controls?
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 3:55 PM
  • As far as I know the only thing you can do out-of-the-box to change the default look and feel is to change the RequestedTheme property to light in App.xaml. That's as far as it goes. If you want to change the brushes you mentioned, you need to alter the styles. Of course you can create your custom styles by right clicking a control and selecting Edit Template, Edit a Copy. But if you want to change colors globally (to your application) in one go, have a look at the article below.

http://www.markermetro.com/2012/07/technical/windows-8-overriding-metro-app-resources/

Sunday, August 26, 2012 3:58 PM
  • I guess my question is more, do those brushes get the look and feel the user has set? If the user choose a blue or orange theme is the system settings which changes the color palette of the start screen and the rest of the system, does this app now get these colors through theme brushes? Or is it just the varying black, white, and gray that currently shows up with a choice of light or dark?
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 6:09 PM
  • I knew that was your question. I guess my answer was unclear :-)

To get back to your question: the latter. So the brushes don't get the look and feel the user has set. I think that look and feel is meant for Start and that's it.

• Marked as answer by awm33drexel Sunday, August 26, 2012 7:18 PM
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 7:09 PM