none
Counting replies RRS feed

• Question

• We have a SharePoint site at our company that is going to be used for "productivity suggestions," and so, we have 3 different discussion boards with a webpart above them that lists the subject matter of the discussion board.

EX:

HERE IS THE WEBPART THAT SAYS THE QUESTION/SUBJECT MATTER THAT THE BOARD SHOULD BE USED FOR.

HERE IS THE DISCUSSION BOARD.

I know that there is the ability to "count replies," but it does not give me the desired results. It seems to count how many different "topics" a discussion board has. I would like it to act as a forum where I can have it count the number of "posts" per discussion board and, possibly, count the number of posts per topic.

This may not make sense, so let me try to make it less vague.

EX:

Question:
    What cost savings and productivity improvement ideas do you have within the scope of our sector?

Here is the discussion board.

We want to display the total posts within a discussion board.

We will also categories the ideas that employees post down into smaller areas such as "General, Oracle, etc." We want to have the ability to count the number of posts per area. So, we would know that the discussion board as 10 posts. We would also know that 4 of those posts are in the area of "general" and that 6 of those posts are in the area of "oracle."

Let me know if this doesn't make sense or if you might be able to help me out.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 10:55 PM

Answers

• Are you looking for a custom web part?
    You can differentiate a Discussion item from a Reply item using the Content Type. For a new discussion item, the Content Type name will be "Discussion" where as for a Reply it will be "Message". The Message content type has a field called "Title" which stores the title of the discussion item that it is associated with. So you can write a CAML Query to fetch all the replies or count the replies for each discussion item.

Hope this helps.

Regards
    Prasad
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 5:02 AM