Deployment for MsWord 2007 Add-ins in VS 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Iam sorry if this is not the right place to post this query, but I could'nt locate the forum for the release version of Vs2008 Office Add-Ins. If this is not the correct forum please point me to the correct one.

Here's what I would like to know.

We have a setup for our Word 2007 Add-ins and PowerPoint 2007 Add-ins which was developed in Vs 2005 VSTO SE. This works fine and install both the add-ins correctly with the required permissions.

Now the problems is. Office deployment in Vs2008 seems to support only clickonce for application add-ins. This would have been ok for our add-in, only that we want both our addins (Words and PPT)'s addin to be installed using one setup as is done in our current setup. But this seems not possible using clickonce( at least to me as per my reading). If it is possible to have such a setup in Vs2008, please point me to the documention for this type of setup.

Now assuming it is not possible to have a setup that install both the Add-ins using clickonce, what would be the best way to do it. The end result should be one where the user initiate only one setup which install (from CD_ROM) all our Add-ins with all the securities needed to run on the user machine.

Note. After converting the Vs2005 version of our setup project to Vs2008 the setup gives error when installing. ( I supposed that is because of the different deployment model used by Vs2008.)

Would appreciate any help.

Taoyo.

Monday, January 14, 2008 1:10 PM

Answers

• Taoyo,

The answer to your question is a little complicated. 

You can install both add-ins with a single BootStrapper but there are 2 ways you can do this:

Non-ClickOnce:

Basically you have to copy all of the files of both solutions to a location and register both Add-ins using the |vstolocal tag in the manifest value (if you F5 your add-ins, you will see an example of this).  the vstolocal tag prevents the add-in being copied into the cache.

Advantages:  Single Installer /  Uninstaller.

Disadvantages:  You have to manuall Register both add-ins.  You have to set the pre-requisites manually.  There is a known issue with VS 2008 Office 2007 projects such that you cannot use a project reference to get the ouput files for your installer, instead you must manually include each of the output files.  You must write your own un-install.

ClickOnce:

Create a setup that uses VSTOInstaller.exe to install one of the add-ins (You would shell out the command <vstoInstallerPath>VSTOInstaller.exe /install <.vsto path>).  Make sure the VSTO3.0 Runtime is a requirement.  You need to author the package files to make the installer a prerequisite package.  Here's some information on how to do this:

Bootstrapper Schema:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library(d=robot)/ms229223.aspx

Adding custom prerequisites

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library(d=robot)/ms165429.aspx

Bootstrapper Manifest Generator

http://www.codeplex.com/bmg

Then you simply add the custom installer pre-requisite to the other add-in.

Advantages:  Still get ClickOnce's updating and rollback and uninstalls for both Add-ins.

Disadvantages:  ClickOnce doesn't maintain parity between both add-ins (ex.  if you update both add-ins it's probable they will not be updated at the same time).  You have 2 uninstall entries (in the Add/Remove Programs Table).  You have to author a custom prerequisite package. 

Hopefully this will help you get your newest version of your add-ins deploying in the way you want.

Monday, January 14, 2008 6:36 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Taoyo,

The answer to your question is a little complicated. 

You can install both add-ins with a single BootStrapper but there are 2 ways you can do this:

Non-ClickOnce:

Basically you have to copy all of the files of both solutions to a location and register both Add-ins using the |vstolocal tag in the manifest value (if you F5 your add-ins, you will see an example of this).  the vstolocal tag prevents the add-in being copied into the cache.

Advantages:  Single Installer /  Uninstaller.

Disadvantages:  You have to manuall Register both add-ins.  You have to set the pre-requisites manually.  There is a known issue with VS 2008 Office 2007 projects such that you cannot use a project reference to get the ouput files for your installer, instead you must manually include each of the output files.  You must write your own un-install.

ClickOnce:

Create a setup that uses VSTOInstaller.exe to install one of the add-ins (You would shell out the command <vstoInstallerPath>VSTOInstaller.exe /install <.vsto path>).  Make sure the VSTO3.0 Runtime is a requirement.  You need to author the package files to make the installer a prerequisite package.  Here's some information on how to do this:

Bootstrapper Schema:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library(d=robot)/ms229223.aspx

Adding custom prerequisites

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library(d=robot)/ms165429.aspx

Bootstrapper Manifest Generator

http://www.codeplex.com/bmg

Then you simply add the custom installer pre-requisite to the other add-in.

Advantages:  Still get ClickOnce's updating and rollback and uninstalls for both Add-ins.

Disadvantages:  ClickOnce doesn't maintain parity between both add-ins (ex.  if you update both add-ins it's probable they will not be updated at the same time).  You have 2 uninstall entries (in the Add/Remove Programs Table).  You have to author a custom prerequisite package. 

Hopefully this will help you get your newest version of your add-ins deploying in the way you want.

Monday, January 14, 2008 6:36 PM
    Answerer
  •  

Kris,

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain the different ways of deploying the add-ins and their advantages/disadvantages. Currently Iam looking up those links you mentioned.

Taoyo

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:01 AM
  • I could use some more detail on the signle installer pattern.   I understand Windows Installer and bootstrapping prereqs so that isn't the problem.    Where I am right now is detailed at:

http://blog.deploymentengineering.com/2008/01/learning-to-deploy-vtso-3-addins.html

Basically I'm wondering if there is a better method then shelling out to VSTOInstaller.exe and a bit more information on the vstolocal tag.  Right now when my MSI lays the files down and calls VSTOInstaller it works but I get an extra entry in Add/Remove Programs that I don't really want and I'm guessing it's also be deployed to the cache when I don't really need it to.    I didn't write the .vsto, another developer did.

Saturday, January 19, 2008 2:41 AM