none
What is the purpose of "Update all related content types with these workflow association settings." when i have a global workflow that is connected to a content type ? RRS feed

• Question

• I have the following scenario inside my sharepoint server-2013 :-

1. using sharepoint designer i created a new reusable workflow 2010 linked to a custom content type (content type name is CT-A).

2. then i globally publish the reusable workflow, name it "global".

3. i set to run the workflow when item is created.

4. now i have a list which uses the content type CT-A.

5. i create a new item inside my list.

6. where the global workflow runs successfully.

7. so till now everything is working well.

now i wanted to updated my global workflow to add extra actions.

so i did the following:-

1. using sharepoint designer 2013.

2. i edit the global workflow

3. save / publish it

At this stage i thought that my modifications will not have any effect unless i click on the "Site Settings>>Site Content Types>>CT-A>>workflows>>Update all related content types with these workflow association settings. " link:-

but when i add a new item inside the list , the modification i made on the global workflow was applied to the list , without clicking on the above link ? so can anyone adivce on what is the purpose of the "Update all related content types with these workflow association settings."  link,, as seems modifying the global workflow, then save/publish it will also update the workflow on the list content types without the need to click on "Update all related content types with these workflow association settings."  link ?

• Edited by johnjohn11 Tuesday, January 3, 2017 4:39 PM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2017 4:38 PM

Answers

• I'm pretty sure the "related content types" is referring to content types that inherit from this content type rather than simply instances of this content type.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• Marked as answer by johnjohn11 Wednesday, January 4, 2017 2:57 PM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2017 6:57 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my testing, this could be useful when you add workflow to parent content type but didn’t update the workflow to related content types first.

Then, you could update related content types by the “Update all related content types with these workflow association settings” link.

Best Regards,

Lee

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 8:08 AM

All replies

• I'm pretty sure the "related content types" is referring to content types that inherit from this content type rather than simply instances of this content type.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• Marked as answer by johnjohn11 Wednesday, January 4, 2017 2:57 PM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2017 6:57 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my testing, this could be useful when you add workflow to parent content type but didn’t update the workflow to related content types first.

Then, you could update related content types by the “Update all related content types with these workflow association settings” link.

Best Regards,

Lee

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 8:08 AM