If IIS isn't configured for WebSocket Protocol, will SignalR client automatically drop down to long polling? RRS feed

All replies

• User475983607 posted

Will a browser client running the SignalR app still work, but automatically dropped down into "long polling" method of doing updates?

That's what the docs state.  Are you having a problem?

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 4:22 PM
  • User1707499696 posted

I have not yet implemented SignalR on in our application, so I am not specifically seeing a problem.  My application is installed on customers servers, of which I have no control, and I wouldn't want the whole application to be taken down if a server admin doesn't have the WebSocket option on IIS.  My hope would be SignalR is smart enough to not just check the IIS version, but also check if that specific component is installed and functional on the IIS server.

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 4:44 PM
  • User475983607 posted

I have not yet implemented SignalR on in our application, so I am not specifically seeing a problem.  My application is installed on customers servers, of which I have no control, and I wouldn't want the whole application to be taken down if a server admin doesn't have the WebSocket option on IIS.  My hope would be SignalR is smart enough to not just check the IIS version, but also check if that specific component is installed and functional on the IIS server.

When I'm new to a technology, library, feature, etc, I generally rely on the published specifications and documentation.   Then I'll build a proof of concept and test to make sure the technology fits my needs.  

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 4:54 PM
  • User1707499696 posted

I haven't been able to spot any specifications of the criteria SignalR uses to determine if the server is "able" to perform SignalR processing.  Is it just if the server is IIS-8 or above?  Are there other criteria?  If you (or someone else) know of such "specifications", I would love if you might be able to point me at them.    Yes, I can can run a series of test to figure out the behavior, but my hope was that someone experience in using SignalR would be able to tell me their experience regarding the behavior (or find it in a spec).

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 5:17 PM
  • User475983607 posted

greenstone90

I haven't been able to spot any specifications of the criteria SignalR uses to determine if the server is "able" to perform SignalR processing.  Is it just if the server is IIS-8 or above?  Are there other criteria?  If you (or someone else) know of such "specifications", I would love if you might be able to point me at them.    Yes, I can can run a series of test to figure out the behavior, but my hope was that someone experience in using SignalR would be able to tell me their experience regarding the behavior (or find it in a spec).

I'm not sure why you are unable to find SignalR reference documentation.  This stuff is openly published.   Use a search engine or click the Docs link above and drill into the technology your looking for. 

This should get you started.  Be sure to see the left navigation menu as there is a lot of information.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/core/signalr/introduction?view=aspnetcore-3.1

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/core/tutorials/signalr?view=aspnetcore-3.1&tabs=visual-studio

Plus the all the code is open source.

https://github.com/SignalR/SignalR

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 5:25 PM
  • User1707499696 posted

Thanks for sending me a link to the general specification.  You're right, I'm easily able to find that...and I have spent time on google and looking through specifications, but looking through it, and haven't found any where it describes the question I posed. 

If you're not experienced with using SignalR in this area, that's fine.  I appreciate you giving me general info...but I was hoping someone with specific experience might be able share some knowledge.  Please don't feel obligated to respond back if you don't have knowledge that would help.

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 7:10 PM
  • User475983607 posted

greenstone90

Thanks for sending me a link to the general specification.  You're right, I'm easily able to find that...and I have spent time on google and looking through specifications, but looking through it, and haven't found any where it describes the question I posed. 

If you're not experienced with using SignalR in this area, that's fine.  I appreciate you giving me general info...but I was hoping someone with specific experience might be able share some knowledge.  Please don't feel obligated to respond back if you don't have knowledge that would help.

I'm a little confused... this information is in the very first link. 

Transports

SignalR supports the following techniques for handling real-time communication (in order of graceful fallback):

SignalR automatically chooses the best transport method that is within the capabilities of the server and client.

Also from the first link you can easily find the Transport specifications.

https://github.com/aspnet/AspNetCore/blob/master/src/SignalR/docs/specs/TransportProtocols.md

Lastly, you have the source code.  I'm not sure what else you're look for...

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 7:29 PM
  • User1707499696 posted

I appreciate the help, but this seems like it might not be your area, I'd appreciate if someone with experience in the area could respond.  As much as I generally appreciate responses, you do not need to respond if you cannot understand the question.  

I will repeat the question one more time.  This is specifically what I would love for someone (with running experience of using SignalR and setting up servers).

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 7:33 PM
  • User61956409 posted

Hi greenstone90,

This article describes the supported platforms of ASP.NET SignalR, you can check it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/signalr/overview/getting-started/supported-platforms

Besides, you can refer to the following document to know details of transport selection process.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/signalr/overview/getting-started/introduction-to-signalr#transport-selection-process

With Regards,

Fei Han

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 1:55 AM