How to change domain from onmicrosoft.com to on-premise domain RRS feed

• Question

When setting up directory synchronization using Ad Azure Connect, is there a way to copy the users already created back to on-premise AD? If so, how do you change their domain from the onmicrosoft.com to the on-premise domain that was federated? I thought I could do it through the Office 365 portal, but I don't have the option to change the domain. I know users in the on-premise AD can be uploaded to Office 365 but I want to know if it can be the other way. Thanks for your help!

From,

@AzureSupport

Friday, December 11, 2015 3:51 AM

All replies

• back to On-Perm? - No. AADConnect Sync is from On-perm to Azure

You need to verify the custom domain in Azure. If it is managed, you need to convert it to Federated

Santhosh Sivarajan | Houston, TX | www.sivarajan.com
    ITIL,MCITP,MCTS,MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4),MCSA(W2K3/W2K/MSG),Network+,CCNA

My Books: | Windows Server Security | Windows Server 2012

Blogs | Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook|

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, December 11, 2015 3:59 AM
  • Thank you.  This is my scenario:

Had two users on Office 365 that still had their primary domain as trangodemo.onmicrosoft.com.  Can I convert these to use my federated domain?  And if I can, will DirSync create the user accounts in our on-premise AD?  If not, do all users have to have their primary domain as "domain.com" before running DirSync?

Thanks,
    - Christian

Friday, December 11, 2015 4:20 AM
  • Yes, you can. But you need first to delete both users from Office 365 and recycle bin. Then create though users on AD on premises and run dirsync. Then you will find those users synced on cloud.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question, please click "Mark As Answer" Mai Ali | My blog:Technical | Twitter: Mai Ali

Friday, December 11, 2015 1:31 PM
  • Thank you!  So if we have 100 users on Office 365 and then we implemented AD FS, we would have to delete all of the users on Office 365 and re-create them on our on-premise AD so that they would then be copied over to Office 365?  We are planning to have a lot of users on Office 365 first before setting up AD FS and they will be using emails a lot so we don't want to have to delete users just to re-create them on-premise.  Any suggestions??

Thanks!
    - Christian

Friday, December 11, 2015 4:35 PM
  • We are planning to have a lot of users on Office 365 first before setting up AD FS and they will be using emails a lot so we don't want to have to delete users just to re-create them on-premise.

Greetings, Christian!

I am afraid you're looking for User Writeback (in AAD Connect Preview 2):

The feature desired is however unavailable in the GA build of AAD Connect tool. Refer to the features available now.

But yes, you might want to vote for this feature and keep an eye on: Use AAD group membership to filter/control user writeback to ADDS.

Thank you,

Arvind

Friday, December 11, 2015 10:56 PM
  • >>>Had two users on Office 365 that still had their primary domain as trangodemo.onmicrosoft.com.  Can I convert these to use my federated domain? 

In this case, you can talking about a hard matching. Yes. It can be done

Verify the domain first, then enable directory sync. then hard match

Santhosh Sivarajan | Houston, TX | www.sivarajan.com
    ITIL,MCITP,MCTS,MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4),MCSA(W2K3/W2K/MSG),Network+,CCNA

My Books: | Windows Server Security | Windows Server 2012

Blogs | Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook|

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, December 14, 2015 5:07 PM