Triple boot - Windows 7, Windows Server 2008R2, Windows 8 Server Preview

Question

• I want to setup a single system to triple boot Windows 7, Windows Server 2008R2 , and Windows Server 8 Preview build. Is this doable? Any caveats? You can assume my hardware meets both Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. (Intel i7 CPU, 750GB storage, etc)

Thx

Dilip Naik

www.msftmvp.com and VHD tools at www.VMUtil.com
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Dilip,

First to all, do the dual boot with 7 and 2008 R2.

After that, just go to Disk management, create a new partition and call it Win8 or whatever you want.

Restart your system from Windows Developer Preview media (USB or DVD drive), select Custom installation and select the new partition that you just created.

When the installation finishes, you will see the Windows 8 dual boot environment and you will be able to customize it.

Regards, 

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:36 PM

All replies

• Should work just fine.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:33 PM
  • Hi Dilip,

First to all, do the dual boot with 7 and 2008 R2.

After that, just go to Disk management, create a new partition and call it Win8 or whatever you want.

Restart your system from Windows Developer Preview media (USB or DVD drive), select Custom installation and select the new partition that you just created.

When the installation finishes, you will see the Windows 8 dual boot environment and you will be able to customize it.

Regards, 

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:36 PM
  • I made triple boot  my laptop with win7,ubuntu,xp,

after that I upgraded win7 to win8,,,,no problem at all,,get it works fine....

Sunday, September 18, 2011 2:58 AM
  • Hello everyone, okay so as already seen in here that people are triple booting, so clearly very posible but my question is I CURRENTLY have xp, ubuntu, windows 7 all installed so it's a triple but I would like to add to that collection Windows server 2008 R2, my question is  will I run into any errors on completing the installation e.g. will it write over the boot loaders causing chaos e.g. when windows 7 and xp were install a bootloader applications had to be ran to restore the bootloader for both systems to work, will this be required ? 

Friday, January 13, 2012 7:38 PM