none
Help understand EF and ORM RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi, We are working on re-design of a legacy application using C# in visual studio 2012 and SQL Server 2008 R2. Not sure whether to go for Entity FrameWork or Object Relational Mapping. Could you please help me understand how these would differ and advantages and disadvantages of using one over another.

Thanks in advance...............

• Moved by Bob Beauchemin Thursday, February 14, 2013 4:32 PM Moved to a more appropriate forum for best results
    • Changed type Glenn CondronMicrosoft employee, Moderator Monday, February 18, 2013 11:36 PM This is more of a discussion question rather than something with a single answer
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 4:27 PM

All replies

• Entity Framework is by far the most common, and probably the easiest ORM to find info about.

There are other options - For example, I love working with Mindscape's Lightspeed product, and there's always nHibernate.

In general, though, I'd recommend EF unless you have some compelling reason to look elsewhere.  EF is very flexible, supports SQL Server very well, and easy to find help with.  The main advantage of other products (like Lightspeed) is that they are often easier to setup and use, and can be more "productive" out of the box, as they're dead simple in many scenarios.

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

Thursday, February 14, 2013 4:59 PM
  • Thanks Reed, If I were to go Entity Framework do I use LINQ for best results rather than Stored Procedures or views ?

Regards........

Thursday, February 14, 2013 5:15 PM
  • I tend to go with LINQ until I have something that needs the performance of stored procedures. But there are plenty of other people who prefer other ways of doing things. It depends on what you want to do.

We are seeing a lot of great Entity Framework questions (and answers) from the community on Stack Overflow. As a result, our team is going to spend more time reading and answering questions posted on Stack Overflow. We would encourage you to post questions on Stack Overflow using the entity-framework tag. We will also continue to monitor the Entity Framework forum.

Monday, February 18, 2013 11:38 PM