Loading XML file

Question

• I am currently building a JS App where I need to store some data in XML, which then i translate to objects. I have searched for examples about loading xml files, but I have only found two kinds:

• The ones where a external (filesystem, web) is loaded
    • The ones where the XML is generated from a string

So, how could I load a file from my own app folder? I would prefer this method over parsing strings 'hard-coded' in the JS code because it's way cleaner and better for a collaborative project, but will it be slower?

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 5:50 PM

Answers

• I was doing this recently with JSON data by reading it as a text file and then using JSON.parse. This should work with XML data as well. This works for a data.xml file stored in the data folder of the project.

NOTE: In this example, you need to add the file to your project and you should set the file's "Copy to Output Directory" property value to "Copy Always".

var data;

function loadData() {

var uri = new Windows.Foundation.Uri('ms-appx:///data/data.xml');

return Windows.Storage.StorageFile.getFileFromApplicationUriAsync(uri).then(function (file) {
                return Windows.Storage.FileIO.readTextAsync(file).then(function (result) {

// Process result.
                    data = processedResult;

// Do this if you want to call this function asynchronously, handling
                    // the result in a .then completion handler.
                    return WinJS.Promise.as(true);

});

});

}

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 6:17 PM

All replies

• I was doing this recently with JSON data by reading it as a text file and then using JSON.parse. This should work with XML data as well. This works for a data.xml file stored in the data folder of the project.

NOTE: In this example, you need to add the file to your project and you should set the file's "Copy to Output Directory" property value to "Copy Always".

var data;

function loadData() {

var uri = new Windows.Foundation.Uri('ms-appx:///data/data.xml');

return Windows.Storage.StorageFile.getFileFromApplicationUriAsync(uri).then(function (file) {
                return Windows.Storage.FileIO.readTextAsync(file).then(function (result) {

// Process result.
                    data = processedResult;

// Do this if you want to call this function asynchronously, handling
                    // the result in a .then completion handler.
                    return WinJS.Promise.as(true);

});

});

}

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 6:17 PM
  • Thanks, works perfectly!
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:14 PM