none
class not registered for 64 bit OS and 32 bit visio RRS feed

• Question

• I have below machine environments

64 bit OS with 64 bit visio
    64 bit OS with 32 bit visio

32 bit OS with 32 bit visio

I am creating an application using axdrawing control for Visio functions.

If i make target framework=AnyCPU then 
               it fails for 64 bit OS with 32 bit visio

if i make target framework =X86 ,then 
               it fails for 64 bit OS with 64 bit visio.

How can i  create single exe , that would run on all  above environments
    • Moved by Hila Shemer Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:51 PM not related to apps for Office (From:Developing Apps for Office)
    Monday, September 3, 2012 9:58 AM

Answers

• Start with the basics, the two versions of Visio : x86 will run on both x86 and x64 operating systems, the x64 version of course is limited to the x64 operating system. That's part of the reason I only build x86 versions.

The x64 version of Visio did not come out until v2010, so everything else is currently x86 (v2007 and below). So your problem of two solutions currently only applies to v2010, although v2013 will also support both.

You cannot install both the x86 and x64 version of Visio on a single system (it's not allowed) so you will have to develop them separately on different images (I virtualize them). They will require that the client system have the appropriate libraries on their systems to match what you're building.

The rest of the discussion would have to cover how to package the solution(s).

al

If this answer solves your problem, please check Mark as Answered. If this answer helps, please click the Vote as Helpful button. Al Edlund Visio MVP

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:53 PM
  • Hi Buddies,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

It's based on my experience that here have no solution for your issue. 64-bit program have different instruction set than 32-bit program. It will not compatible 32-bit instruction set.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, September 14, 2012 7:33 AM

All replies

• Hi - can you post a little more info about what you are doing and we'll see if we can help - note that this forum is really for "Apps for Office" rather than interop issues, which are best raised on the general forum:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officegeneral/threads

Cheers...Patrick

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 4:29 PM
  • Hi Buddies,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

It's based on my experience that here have no solution for your issue. 64-bit program have different instruction set than 32-bit program. It will not compatible 32-bit instruction set.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Friday, September 14, 2012 7:33 AM
  • Start with the basics, the two versions of Visio : x86 will run on both x86 and x64 operating systems, the x64 version of course is limited to the x64 operating system. That's part of the reason I only build x86 versions.

The x64 version of Visio did not come out until v2010, so everything else is currently x86 (v2007 and below). So your problem of two solutions currently only applies to v2010, although v2013 will also support both.

You cannot install both the x86 and x64 version of Visio on a single system (it's not allowed) so you will have to develop them separately on different images (I virtualize them). They will require that the client system have the appropriate libraries on their systems to match what you're building.

The rest of the discussion would have to cover how to package the solution(s).

al

If this answer solves your problem, please check Mark as Answered. If this answer helps, please click the Vote as Helpful button. Al Edlund Visio MVP

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:53 PM
  • Hi visio,

I will close this issue, please feel free to unmark it if you don't think so.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Monday, September 24, 2012 6:45 AM