why am i suddenly getting a message about a developers license?

Question

• what is this all about? a developers license?? suddenly I am no longer to get to play any games etc. and being sent to the store to renew my developers license...

brenda

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 4:35 AM

Answers

• Probably your windows store components are broken, there are plenty of threads in the windows store forums about how to reset your windows store.

Visual C++ MVP

• Marked as answer by brenda1235 Wednesday, November 6, 2013 1:29 AM
    Tuesday, November 5, 2013 5:43 PM
  • Hi Brenda,

If you aren't developing or testing apps and have installed apps only from the store then you shouldn't need a developer license. If you're getting that message then there is likely something wrong on the system and the answers site would be better able to help you. I suspect that they forwarded you here because they thought you were getting that message when writing your own apps.

--Rob

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 5:50 PM

All replies

• try the windows store forum on answers.microsoft.com. 

This forum is for tools that helps in writing windows store apps, not for using the store itself.

Visual C++ MVP

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 4:55 AM
  • sorry this is where I ended up on the place they suggested I get answers. sorry to have bothered you. this is a bummer.

brenda

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 6:12 AM
  • The developer license is needed if you are writing or testing apps. If you've downloaded your apps from the store then it should not be necessary. If you are running apps from a test package then you will need an active developer license.

For more information see Get a developer license (Windows Store apps) (Windows)‎ 

--Rob

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 9:24 AM
  • why would that be the case ? the only change I have made is that I was offered the option of updating my os from 8 to 8.1 as an update and did so. never saw anything about testing apps. this would not be anything I would have been interested in at all.

thank you for your response.

brenda

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 4:30 PM
  • Probably your windows store components are broken, there are plenty of threads in the windows store forums about how to reset your windows store.

Visual C++ MVP

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 5:43 PM
  • Hi Brenda,

If you aren't developing or testing apps and have installed apps only from the store then you shouldn't need a developer license. If you're getting that message then there is likely something wrong on the system and the answers site would be better able to help you. I suspect that they forwarded you here because they thought you were getting that message when writing your own apps.

--Rob

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 5:50 PM
  • THANK YOU

brenda

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 1:27 AM
  • Exactly. I notice below they tell you to go to the windows store, which I can't do because it won't let me since I supposedly need to renew my developer license.  Another wild ride.
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 2:09 AM
  • Hi Rrrrgh,

Please post questions about using Windows 8.1 to the Windows 8.1 forum on http://answers.microsoft.com . The MSDN Windows Store apps forums are specifically for developers to discuss writing their own Windows Store apps.

--Rob

Thursday, November 7, 2013 2:15 AM
  • I think we get it about what a developer is, though I didn't know until this fiasco. Most of my apps, including Microsoft ones, have the X at the bottom right corner. When I click on one it goes for a second and then blips back to the apps page.  I was able to break through the Finance app long enough to get the message that my developers license had expired, and I needed to renew it. Since I don't have one, I figured  you might know here how to begin the hours of undoing the error. I have already de-electrified, done restore point, etc. My suspicion? The last two Windows critical updates/Windows 8 to 8.1. Happens every time. Any suggestons that don't involve an app that isn't usable?

Thursday, November 7, 2013 2:24 AM
  • Exactly.
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 2:25 AM
  • The folks who will know how to repair this are in the forums on http://answers.microsoft.com .

Thursday, November 7, 2013 2:35 AM