Does Windows 8 PC software also run on Windows 8 tablets/smart phones and vice versa?

Question

• First question see title.

Second question: If yes what programming language, SDK etc must the app developer choose to develop cross platform applications? I hope C++ and not HTML5.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:16 PM

Answers

• Windows Store apps run on pc's, laptops and tablet with windows 8. with minimal effort you canmake your application also compatible for windows Phone but you will need to make a new ui.

and to develop store apps you can choose:  C++ , C#, VB or Html with Javascript

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 8:00 PM

All replies

• Windows Store apps run on pc's, laptops and tablet with windows 8. with minimal effort you canmake your application also compatible for windows Phone but you will need to make a new ui.

and to develop store apps you can choose:  C++ , C#, VB or Html with Javascript

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 8:00 PM
  • Nice!!! Thanks for the answer! I am asking silly questions because I want to make certain things clear before investing in necessary Windows 8 hardware/software and app development effort.

Last few questions:

1. I assume I also need a new UI for the Windows 8 tablet as long as I don't use a docking keyboard on the tablet, right?

2. What about libraries written in C++ years before the Windows 8 era? Can they also be easily included in a smartphone app? I guess there would be problems if the library tries to access the middle mousekey.

3. You were talking about Windows Store apps being "universal". What about classic PC software like Photoshop or a PC game that have never been explicitly developed for a smartphone? I'm sure it will difficult to play e.g. Crysis on a smartphone, but would it run or would it crash?

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 10:46 AM
  • Does no one know?
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 9:23 AM
  • Seems we are discussing two different types of apps, desktop apps and windows store apps,  and 3 different platforms x86/x64 PC's, ARM tablets, and Windows Phone8.  Desktop apps (e.g. Photoshop) will only run on x86/x64 PC's.  Store apps will run on both ARM tablets and Win8 PC's, and with some modifications, can also be rebuilt for Phone8.  About the only C++ libraries that could be salvaged for a store app would be purely number crunching/computational stuff.  Anything that accesses the UI/Network/etc. would be unusable.  Don't know how C++ libs play with Phone8.  And you don't need a different UI if the W8 tablet doesn't have a keyboard - a virtual KB pops up automatically during any text prompting if none is connected.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 9:55 PM
  • Thanks,

your answer has been very insightful.

What would happen if I used a convertible (e.g. IdeaPad Yoga)? It does use intel CPUs and I cannot image you would be restricted to store apps. But you can still change to "Tablet mode" with Touch Screen!

Can I use my app if it has not been Windows store certified? On Android I can use any self made apps right from the start without making any detours via Play Store.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 11:54 AM
  • Q1 - The IdeaPad will support desktop apps and will display a virtual KB if none is connected.  That should be the case with any detachable screen Win8 x86/x64 hybrid now.

Q2 - You can use your Store app pre-certification by installing a developer license on the target system (free, you just need a live ID) but there is no way for you to distribute it to others unless they also install a dev license.  IT departments have a third option where they can set up an internal "Windows store server" to distribute in-house Store apps, but that doesn't seem like your scenario.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:56 PM
  • Seems we are discussing two different types of apps, desktop apps and windows store apps,  and 3 different platforms x86/x64 PC's, ARM tablets, and Windows Phone8.  Desktop apps (e.g. Photoshop) will only run on x86/x64 PC's.  Store apps will run on both ARM tablets and Win8 PC's, and with some modifications, can also be rebuilt for Phone8.  About the only C++ libraries that could be salvaged for a store app would be purely number crunching/computational stuff.  Anything that accesses the UI/Network/etc. would be unusable.  Don't know how C++ libs play with Phone8.  And you don't need a different UI if the W8 tablet doesn't have a keyboard - a virtual KB pops up automatically during any text prompting if none is connected.

Thank you for your previous answers.

Those were helpful for my work.

As the windows 8 is released, the concept between Tablet and laptop(ultrabook) seems to be vague.

Some tablets choose windows RT OS and another some tablets do Windows 8(x86 or x64).

My questions are as followings.

1.Is it available to use all of applications and drivers of windows 8 PCs on tablet(x86, x64) whose OS is Windows 8 ?

2. If the answer for first question is false, what are the limitted points for that?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, December 3, 2012 1:01 AM
  • I totally agree - In some cases the name makes it obvious like the ASUS VivoTab RT, but not so much with e.g. the "Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 11" (also RT).  And likely to confuse consumers as well since from a software compatibility standpoint a Windows PC app is as incompatible with RT as it is with a Mac.  Anyway, in asnwer to your question (1), yes, if it's compiled for x86/x64 Win8 and the platform is x86/x64, it doesn't matter whether the platform is a tablet or desktop PC.

Monday, December 3, 2012 5:28 PM
  • A Windows Store app built for x86 will run on any Windows 8 system (x86 or x64), regardless of form factor. The only exception is that some apps may require a minimum level of DirectX.

A Windows Store app built for x64 will run on any x64 Windows 8 system, regardless of form factor. The only exception is that some apps may require a minimum level of DirectX.

A Windows Store app built for arm will run on any Windows RT system, regardless of form factor.

Desktop apps will run on appropriate (x86 or x64) Windows 8 systems, regardless of form factor. Desktop apps cannot be installed on Windows RT systems.

From a technical sense there is no difference between a slate, a tablet, a convertible, or a desktop machine. Any of these devices may have touch or keyboard, whether sometimes or always.

--Rob

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 12:35 AM