none
Windows 10 may or may not work RRS feed

• Question

• So I think i discovered something with Windows 10 and Kinect V2. I have been running Windows 8.1 and a Renesas USB 3 host controller with no problems. I upgrade to Windows 10 and still no problems.

Recently I had to wipe the box and thanks to bizspark, I was able to do a clean Windows 10 installation (i tried this on Windows 10 pro then Windows 10 N and Windows 10 standard). On a clean windows 10 install (not an upgrade), the I get a USB error message on the kinect configuration verifier. I reinstall windows 8.1 and I'm back to a working state using Kienct v2. I upgrade to windows 10 and it continues to work. 

Just to diligent, I test this on two other boxes. The first Box is a i7 gen 4 16 gigs ram and 2 gig video Nvidia with nothing but USB 3 on the board.  the second box uses intel usb 3 and meets specs. I get the same exact result as what i described above. There must be a driver hold over from windows 8.1 - this is going to be a problem for Microsoft in the long run. 

Lesson learned: install windows 8.1 then upgrade to windows 10 in order to run Kinect v2. doing a clean windows 10 installation gives me trouble.

Did I miss something or anyone else experience this issue? 

Friday, November 13, 2015 4:22 PM

All replies

• If you see my other thread I have had lots of issues with Windows 10.  I can not get Kinect working with new Gen 6 Intel 520 graphics.

The Windows 10 experience is not great yet.

Monday, November 16, 2015 7:06 PM
  • Here is the process that I follow when upgrading/installing a new OS:

1) Uninstall the Kinect SDK *and* unplug the device before installing Windows 10.

2) After Windows 10 upgrade/install is complete, download the latest graphics driver from your card's manufacturer site (it seems to be a very common issue that the graphics driver is not properly updated).

3) Plug your Kinect sensor in, and re-install the Kinect SDK. This should give you the latest firmware and software.

Monday, November 23, 2015 10:27 PM