none
How do I enable Deferred Activation in Windows 10 IOT RRS feed

• Question

• In other embedded windows (WES7) I could choose an option to not require activation.

Is this still available in windows 10 IOT?

• Edited by bkuehling Friday, June 30, 2017 6:53 PM
    Friday, June 30, 2017 6:51 PM

All replies

• hello

In other embedded windows (WES7) I could choose an option to not require activation.
    Is this still available in windows 10 IOT?

Windows 10 IoT Enterprise supports (Deferred activation, No activation required, Online activation) based on http://iotdevicenews.com/documents/4_Windows_10_IoT_Enterprise-Datasheet.pdf 

br
    Andre

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 6:52 PM
  • "No activation required" means that you do not need to activate the deivce as long as "is not connected to the internet". I put this into quotes because this brought me to the following question:

Someone - yes, this is reality - may want to connect the device to a network, but does not intend to use the internet. Unfortunately there is a chance that the device "finds" a way to connect to the internet, even if it was not forced to do so (e.g. because the gateways routes to the internet).

OK, I can modify the gateway IP, but in this case I probably not able to use other network resources any more, and I am not in the position that allows me to reconfigure our network infra structure.

Maybe MS turns this in a way that activation is only required device is really intended to use the internet (which may, for exampled  be determined by permanent accesses to external HTTP/HTTPS communications).

Saturday, July 29, 2017 11:51 AM
  • I'm curious - if the device can talk to the internet and activate, why are you interested in deferring activation?
    Monday, July 31, 2017 3:05 PM
  • @Jeremiah: Did your question belongs to me? If yes: There are a some cases where I do not want to activate the system e.g. if I give it to the test department. I cannot forbid them to attach the device to our corporate network, which will also allows the device to gain internet access.

Once internet access is possible, the device will activate itself and you can see in VAMT that your "Remaining activation count" has decremented. With other words: You have wasted a "license" for a device that is in operationals state for just a small amount of time.

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 8:46 AM