none
Open xml relationship target is NULL when inserting chart into a mapped rich text content control in Word 2013 RRS feed

Answers

• Hello Peter,

The relationship in question is associated with the externalData element (ISO/IEC 29500-1:2012 §21.2.2.63). For the other two charts in this document, the corresponding relationships are of the other allowable form:

<Relationship Id="rId3" Type="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/officeDocument/2006/relationships/package" Target="../embeddings/Microsoft_Excel_Worksheet1.xlsx"/>

<Relationship Id="rId3" Type="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/officeDocument/2006/relationships/package" Target="../embeddings/Microsoft_Excel_Worksheet2.xlsx"/>

For charts 1 and 3 in your document, the data can be edited via the Chart Tools ribbon control. The option to edit data is not available for chart 2. The data used to create chart 2 is the same default spreadsheet data used for chart 1, and in fact the spreadsheet references are still present in the file format, despite there being no apparent link to a spreadsheet for chart 2.

Thus, it appears that Target="NULL" in this context means that the chart is not associated with an external data source. The specification doesn't have much to say about the semantics of the Target attribute (ISO/IEC 29500-2:2012 §9.3.2.2) beyond the fact that it be a valid xsd:anyURI, which the string "NULL" is.

It looks like there is some unexpected interaction between the chart and the content control. I don't think the file format is the issue. You will probably need to pursue that behavior from the product perspective via a support incident, if that behavior is unexpected. If you still have questions about what is seen in the file format, please let me know.

Best regards,
    Matt Weber | Microsoft Open Specifications Team

Saturday, March 14, 2015 7:02 PM

All replies

• Hello Peter,

Thank you for your question. I will look into this and get back to you soon.

Best regards,

Friday, March 13, 2015 3:33 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Thanks! Looking forward to your findings :)

Br,

/Peter

Peter

Saturday, March 14, 2015 4:59 PM
  • Hello Peter,

The relationship in question is associated with the externalData element (ISO/IEC 29500-1:2012 §21.2.2.63). For the other two charts in this document, the corresponding relationships are of the other allowable form:

<Relationship Id="rId3" Type="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/officeDocument/2006/relationships/package" Target="../embeddings/Microsoft_Excel_Worksheet1.xlsx"/>

<Relationship Id="rId3" Type="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/officeDocument/2006/relationships/package" Target="../embeddings/Microsoft_Excel_Worksheet2.xlsx"/>

For charts 1 and 3 in your document, the data can be edited via the Chart Tools ribbon control. The option to edit data is not available for chart 2. The data used to create chart 2 is the same default spreadsheet data used for chart 1, and in fact the spreadsheet references are still present in the file format, despite there being no apparent link to a spreadsheet for chart 2.

Thus, it appears that Target="NULL" in this context means that the chart is not associated with an external data source. The specification doesn't have much to say about the semantics of the Target attribute (ISO/IEC 29500-2:2012 §9.3.2.2) beyond the fact that it be a valid xsd:anyURI, which the string "NULL" is.

It looks like there is some unexpected interaction between the chart and the content control. I don't think the file format is the issue. You will probably need to pursue that behavior from the product perspective via a support incident, if that behavior is unexpected. If you still have questions about what is seen in the file format, please let me know.

Best regards,

Saturday, March 14, 2015 7:02 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Thanks a ton for your findings. I hadn't noticed that the connection to the spread sheet is broken if you in fact place a standard chart into a mapped rich text content control.

I think we need to get a proper answer to this question so i will try to create a support ticket for this.

Br,

/Peter

Peter

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 10:23 AM
  • Hello Peter,

Please let me know if you find something that makes it seem more like an issue with the file format. As a test, I changed the relationship for chart 2 to match the one for chart 3, at which point Word declined to open the document saying that is corrupt. I then opened it with the Open XML SDK 2.5 Productivity Tool and ran the validation routine there, which says it's valid. Therefore it seems to me like there's more evidence of an issue with Word, but I could be missing something.

Best regards,

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 6:06 PM
  • Hi Peter,

Were you able to get a support case created and get someone to assist you further with this?

Best regards,

Monday, March 30, 2015 8:06 PM