none
What are the options available in WDS v3.01 to fine-tune the email indexing load on exchange server?

Question

• Hi,

I have read the complete WDS v3.01 Admin guide, from that I could find only below about email indexing vs load on exchange server.

WDS reduces the time and load on Exchange by reducing the number of Remote Procedure Calls (RPC) that are made to the server when e-mail messages and attachments are indexed. Also, because e-mail messages are indexed in native formats such as HTML, Rich Text Format (RTF), or text, the server requires no conversion of mail types. Therefore, the overhead associated with indexing mail on the server is greatly reduced.

The guide doesn't explains what are the control options available in WDS to limit the load on Exchange server from WDS clients while indexing emails.

Bascially, I am looking for details like

1. Number of RPCs made to index certain number (say 1 GB) of email ?

2. Can WDS do a smart indexer back-off if the exchange server is loaded ?

3. Is there any limit in indexing a huge number (say 500+) of outlook folders ?

4. How much disk space on workstation is needed to store the index of 1 GB email ?

5. How much extra load does WDS client generate on exchange server to index certain number (say 1 GB) of email ?

6. What all the options WDS supports to control email indexing load on exchange server ?

Please do not suggest to implement 'outlook cached mode' that isn't feasible option for our environment.

The reason behind asking the above questions is to " Well plan for extending our Exchange infrastructure to support 5thousand+ WDS clients efficiently.".

So any guidence in evaluating the 'email indexing vs load on exchange server' is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Govardhan

Friday, July 27, 2007 12:34 PM

All replies

• Did anyone got a chance to read this post, am eagerly waiting for a good response to this post.

Thanks,

Govardhan

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 4:20 AM
  • Could someone from Microsoft please respond to this post? we completely stuck up evaluating WDS w.r.t WDS email indexing vs Exchange load, any guidance in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Govardhan

Thursday, August 02, 2007 4:55 AM
  • Having NO response to my queries in this thread, I wanted to put all my possible efforts to find answers to my queries and unfortunately stuck up with below new points:

1. How can we simulate the scenario of an outlook user accessing his mailbox? which makes outlook to establish MAPI connections to Exchange server and thus causes RPC communication?

2. Is there a tool to simulate a certain number of WDS clients?

3. What are various ways to measure the load on Exchange server? I know only Perfmon and Exmon tools.

4. What are the major factors/metrics to be monitored to observe the Exchange server performance while WDS indexes emails?

Thirstly looking forward for your response.

Thanks,

Govardhan

Thursday, August 02, 2007 5:23 AM
  • Just a friendly reminder, these forums are primary community driven as an information exchange with other users. While they are periodically monitored by the WDS team, any urgent requests or issues should be be directed to your Microsoft Businesses Premier Support contact.

Thanks.
    Friday, August 03, 2007 1:39 AM