EW4, new computer, how do I access my website and download it? RRS feed

• Question

• I have just installed my old version of EW4 on my new computer and I can't figure out how to tell it the URL of my websites so that I can publish them back to my computer. I've read some questions on this forum but I still can't find a place to go to the Web to find it.

I hope someone can help.

Nancy

Thursday, July 6, 2017 3:19 PM

Answers

• Or, if you are saying you just dont know how to do it in EW4, you can try Site / Import / Import Site Wizard.

You still need the location of, and credentials for accessing your online website. 

Now -- I have personally never tried "Importing" a site so am not 100% sure that gets you all the site files. But you can try it.

Myself, I would use a separate ftp program like Filezilla to transfer all the files from my live site to my local machine. Either way, you still need the credentials and site address.

Or, if you have a local backup, do like Mayra suggests.

ClarkNK AKA HomePage Doctor
    Database Tutorials Using ASP.NET Controls
    My recommended web hosting company: RDOServers

• Marked as answer by finnegan6107 Thursday, July 6, 2017 4:50 PM
    Thursday, July 6, 2017 4:25 PM

All replies

• Did you create a back up of the files on your old computer?  If so, you must "link to" those files (wherever they are on your local C:\ or external HD) taking the following steps: Site > New site > Location (use 'Browse' to find the back up copy and link your files to your newly installed EW4)

Thursday, July 6, 2017 4:09 PM
  • Are you saying you don't know the address of the live site?  Like an address of the form servername.hostname.com or an IP address for your site like XX.XXX.XX.XXX where each X is a number?

You should be able to get that from the Control Panel provided by your webhost, or else just ask them.

Thursday, July 6, 2017 4:10 PM
  • Or, if you are saying you just dont know how to do it in EW4, you can try Site / Import / Import Site Wizard.

You still need the location of, and credentials for accessing your online website. 

Now -- I have personally never tried "Importing" a site so am not 100% sure that gets you all the site files. But you can try it.

Myself, I would use a separate ftp program like Filezilla to transfer all the files from my live site to my local machine. Either way, you still need the credentials and site address.

Or, if you have a local backup, do like Mayra suggests.

• Marked as answer by finnegan6107 Thursday, July 6, 2017 4:50 PM
    Thursday, July 6, 2017 4:25 PM