none
Visual Studio 2010 mt.exe produces error in Windows 10

Question

• Visual Studio 2010 produces "error MSB6006: mt.exe exited with code -1073741819" when building with my new Windows 10 HP laptop. Project builds fine with Visual Studio 2010 & Windows 7.

I have tried setting the same project up with Visual Studio 2005 on Windows 10 and there are no errors.

Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance...

Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Leo,

I have found the problem to be a program called Digital Guardian. This program can be run in stealth mode such that it does not appear in task manager. The processview tool did show it, so i was able to get the right person working on an exception for mt.exe and midl.exe.

Thanks again for all your help,

Brent

• Edited by BuildMeister Wednesday, May 03, 2017 4:51 PM typo
    • Marked as answer by BuildMeister Wednesday, May 03, 2017 4:51 PM
    Wednesday, May 03, 2017 4:50 PM

All replies

• Hi BuildMeister,

Thanks for posting here.

Does this error occur on the blank project without any modification on your Windows 10 HP laptop?

If yes, this issue should be related to your machine, try to turn off Windows Defender (or possibly other anti-virus related software). Windows Defender is known to lock files because MT.EXE runs after the linker is finished. WD jumps in the middle to check up on the newly built EXE and locks it up for the MT.EXE.

If not, this issue is more related to your project, you should check your project first.

Hope this can help you.

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 21, 2017 11:20 AM
  • Hi Leo,

Thanks for your reply.

Our company does not use Windows Defender, instead we use McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8. The same version is also running on my Windows 7 system, where the project builds fine.

I have created a blank MFC project and the same error occurs.  Why would McAfee block mt.exe on Windows 10 but not on Windows 7?

Thanks, Brent

Friday, April 21, 2017 2:06 PM
  • @BuildMeister, have you try to stop the Macfee, then build the blank MFC project on the window 10 system?

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 21, 2017 2:43 PM
  • Hi Leo,

Thanks again,

Since McAfee is a corporate requirement, I am still waiting for permission to disable McAfee.

In the meantime, I did setup an image with Windows 10, Visual Studio 2010, without McAfee. In this configuration my project did compile without errors, even though Windows Defender was running in the default configuration. Do you know what feature in Windows Defender would specifically block Visual Studio 2010 mt.exe?

Thanks, Brent

Monday, April 24, 2017 2:50 PM
  • @Brent, Thanks for your reply.

>>>Do you know what feature in Windows Defender would specifically block Visual Studio 2010 mt.exe?

Since I'm not an expert for Windows Defender, it is hard for me to find out what feature in Windows Defender would specifically block Visual Studio 2010 mt.exe, I have no direct solution for this issue. But you can try to use process monitor and dbgview to discovered which process was accessing that file.

If above answer resolve your question, you can mark it as answer which is benefit to other communities who has the same problem. If not, please let us to know the latest status of this question. Thanks.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 7:44 AM
  • Hi Again,

I was able to disable McAfee Access Protection, On-Access Scanner, IPS Policy, & Firewall, but still the mt.exe error persists. I am not an expert on McAfee, so I am not sure what else to try.

Can you explain how I use process monitor & dbgview to capture the problem?

Thanks, Brent

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 1:16 PM
  • Hi Brent, you can download the process monitor from here, this link also contains some instructions for the process monitor. Besides, you can refer to this blog for more detail information.

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you.
    Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites;
    Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.
    There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 9:15 AM
  • Hi Leo,

I have processview loaded now, but I do not know what the actual problem is that i am looking for. There are many mt.exe entries for "NAME NOT FOUND" and "FILE LOCKED WITH ONLY READERS" but no "ACCESS DENIED". Do you know what -1073741819 means? I am also getting the same return code with midl.exe on OCX projects.

Brent

Friday, April 28, 2017 8:31 PM
  • Hi Leo,

I have found the problem to be a program called Digital Guardian. This program can be run in stealth mode such that it does not appear in task manager. The processview tool did show it, so i was able to get the right person working on an exception for mt.exe and midl.exe.

Brent

• Edited by BuildMeister Wednesday, May 03, 2017 4:51 PM typo
    • Marked as answer by BuildMeister Wednesday, May 03, 2017 4:51 PM
    Wednesday, May 03, 2017 4:50 PM