Office Add-ins and Upgrades RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I have written an add-in button for Outlook 2007 and 2010

So far users have installed the appropriate version for their version of Outlook and all has been fine

However today a user with the add-in upgraded from Outlook 2007 to 2010

When Outlook 2010 started for the first time there were now two add-in buttons (ther user had not installed the 2010 version of the button)

So it looks like the upgrade process "upgrades" the add-in ?

What is the recommended way of preventing the user having two versions of the add-in after upgrading from one Outlook version to the next ?

Do users have to un-install add-ins before upgrade ? (not ideal as they are unlikely to contact us before upgrading)

Thanks

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 10:23 AM

Answers

• Check registry in scope of add-ins (Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Add-ins) both HKLM and HKCU - do you have doubled entries for your plugin? Entry for your plugin should only be once.

• Marked as answer by Forrest Guo Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:05 AM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 2:25 PM

All replies

• Hi

When the user upgrade the OPI 2007 to OPI 2010, then you check if another version of addin is installed or not. If lower version is installed then first uninstall it and install the new version.

Thanks 

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 11:53 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Not quite sure I understand

If a user has OL2007 with our plug-in installed

Runs the Microsoft Oulook install upgrade to 2010

They now have two buttons

I cant see that I have any control in this process ??

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 1:28 PM
  • Check registry in scope of add-ins (Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Add-ins) both HKLM and HKCU - do you have doubled entries for your plugin? Entry for your plugin should only be once.

• Marked as answer by Forrest Guo Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:05 AM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 2:25 PM
  • Hi All

I have written an add-in button for Outlook 2007 and 2010

So far users have installed the appropriate version for their version of Outlook and all has been fine

However today a user with the add-in upgraded from Outlook 2007 to 2010

When Outlook 2010 started for the first time there were now two add-in buttons (ther user had not installed the 2010 version of the button)

So it looks like the upgrade process "upgrades" the add-in ?

What is the recommended way of preventing the user having two versions of the add-in after upgrading from one Outlook version to the next ?

Do users have to un-install add-ins before upgrade ? (not ideal as they are unlikely to contact us before upgrading)

Hi,

We suggest that all users un-install all Add-ins before upgrading Office programs to avoid some unexpected issues, which maybe something like yours.

In addition, I would like to know how your users upgrade Office 2007 to 2010. As far as I know, there is an Customization button for users to keep both versions installed parallelly within that machine, which probably causes the issue as your description.

I look forward to hearing of you.

Calvin Gao[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 8:30 AM
  • Thanks for the reply

I will check with the user the next time I see them

I was not aware you can run two versions of office on the same machine ? Is this new for 2010 ? Or do you mean there is a question during install about what you want to do about any existing add-ins ?

Thanks

Thursday, January 5, 2012 10:33 AM
  • Thanks for the reply

I will check with the user the next time I see them

I was not aware you can run two versions of office on the same machine ? Is this new for 2010 ? Or do you mean there is a question during install about what you want to do about any existing add-ins ?

Thanks

No, Office installation always supports to do this, check the following illustration:

Calvin Gao[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Friday, January 6, 2012 8:43 AM
  • Thanks again for the reply. I will ask them

In the meantime I have found out that they did the upgrade and then ran the installer to add the 2010 version of the button

This installer is created with the MSVS Publish option and it is 'published' to a directory that is then copied to a shared drive

I've setup two independant Office projects one for 2007 and one for 2010 as both these exist in VS and seemed the sensible thing to do

Is there anyway the installer could detect the existance of the other add-in (this is not an upgrade as they are two separate VS projects)

Or perhaps code in the button itself could detect the other button and warn the user to un-install it ?

Thanks

Friday, January 6, 2012 10:04 AM