none
VS2013 not running in debug mode on Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10041 RRS feed

• Question

• am getting the following errors every time i try to run my projects in debug mode what can be the issue.

Managed Debugging Assistant 'FatalExecutionEngineError' has detected a problem in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\IIS Express\iisexpress.exe'.

Additional information: The runtime has encountered a fatal error. The address of the error was at 0x73c0d5a5, on thread 0x1a0c. The error code is 0xc0000005. This error may be a bug in the CLR or in the unsafe or non-verifiable portions of user code. Common sources of this bug include user marshaling errors for COM-interop or PInvoke, which may corrupt the stack.

Then when I continue the following appears

An unhandled exception of type 'System.AccessViolationException' occurred in System.Data.dll

Additional information: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

Then it stops.. 

This happens when a database call is made and only does this when debug, when I run it using the browser link all is good. The applications work well.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 12:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Bigmachini,

According to your error message, I am not sure that if this issue is only occurs for your specified project or all projects when we run your project in debug mode. So I suggest you could try to create a simple project and then debug it and then check if you still get same issue.

(1)If you still get same issue for a simple project, please you check if you project in this debug mode by click this BUILD->Configuration Manager.

And then you could change the Platform and the Platform target to Any CPU for 64-bit, or x86 for 32-bit check this issue again.

If the above suggestion still could not help you, maybe you will need to repair or re-install this VS and then check this issue.

(2) If you still get same error for a simple project, I doubt that this issue may be related to your project. So please tell me what type project you create and what language you use in this VS2013.

In addition, I suggest you could try to debug your project on a different OS such as Windows 8.1 and then check if this issue is related to this Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10041.

Hope it help you!

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 7:36 AM
  • I am also getting this error on Vs 2013 after updating to the latest Windows 10 build 10041. The error occurs in iis express and re-installation or repair doesn't correct the issue. 

The error mostly occurs when debugging ADO.NET or database function calls. If code is run without debugging then there is no issue at all.

This is definitely a huge bug with  Windows 10 Preview build 10041.

The same issue is also mentioned here without a solution to date http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_update/vs2013-not-running-in-debug-mode-on-windows-10/64ad7e43-2158-42b6-8a62-d348fbe1a35b

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 5:58 PM
  • Hi Bigmachini,

According to my solution, what about your issue now?

If you have been solved the issue, would you mind sharing us the solution here? So it would be helpful for other members who get the same issue.

If not, please let us know the latest information about it.

@Malik, could you please tell me if you try to check your issue by the above suggestion as I said?

If no, please try the above suggestions to check this issue and then tell me the latest message about this issue.

>>The error mostly occurs when debugging ADO.NET or database function calls. If code is run without debugging then there is no issue at all.

You could also try to copy your project and then debug your project in debug mode on a another machine you install same Windows 10 OS check this issue again.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, March 27, 2015 2:32 AM
  • Same exact issue for me. It's definitely a bug in Windows 10041.

Solutions that have worked for months throw the Fatal Exception error as soon as i upgraded from 9926 to 10041. No code changes were made and VS2013 was not updated, the only variable was the upgrade to 10041.

I see this error also in WPF solutions. I can get those to debug if I uninstall IIS Express 8.0,but of course for Web Applications that doesn't help.

Friday, March 27, 2015 11:28 PM
  • This is definitely a huge bug with  Windows 10 Preview build 10041.

Hello Malik Hasan.

I hope you will report this through the Windows Feedback app installed in your Win 10, using the Developer Platform.

Thanks!

• Edited by pvdg42 Saturday, March 28, 2015 12:50 AM
    Saturday, March 28, 2015 12:49 AM
  • Same exact issue for me. It's definitely a bug in Windows 10041.

Solutions that have worked for months throw the Fatal Exception error as soon as i upgraded from 9926 to 10041. No code changes were made and VS2013 was not updated, the only variable was the upgrade to 10041.

I see this error also in WPF solutions. I can get those to debug if I uninstall IIS Express 8.0,but of course for Web Applications that doesn't help.

Hello johnnysc222.

I hope you will report this through the Windows Feedback app installed in your Win 10, using the Developer Platform.

Thanks!

Saturday, March 28, 2015 12:51 AM
  • I certainly will, however I needed to be able to do some work over the weekend and I left my main PC (laptop) at work.  I was in a bind so I ended up rolling back to the previous build.

For those using this as their daily driver and really need a solution, the only thing I could find was to rollback. I wasn't sure how to do this, so for those interested here's how to do it (it's actually super easy, painless and no data loss).

Hold down shift and Restart your PC from the Start Menu.  A blue screen will eventually appear. Click the 'Troubleshoot' icon and then the option to rollback to previous build.  This will run and you'll be back in 9926.  For me my Start Menu didn't work.  If this happens to you open Power Shell with Admin privileges.  To do this you can use the search or magnifying glass in the taskbar type 'Power' and you should see 'Windows PowerShell' listed as an App. Right click on it and choose 'Run as Administrator'.  

Paste this in:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

and hit Enter. This will run for a couple minutes...I had a few errors during the run, but in the end it didn't matter. Once this is done either restart your PC or you can just open Task Manager and restart explorer.exe.  Voila, Start Menu works again.

I then opened VS 2013, ran the same solution that was causing issues and it worked flawlessly.  

In the end this whole procedure took about 20 minutes and i'm back up and running.  

Hopes this helps someone.

-John

Saturday, March 28, 2015 1:55 AM
  • After playing around a bit, I noticed the Start Menu wasn't 100%.  Only window Apps shown under 'All App', all other installed apps are not shown.  I don't have 'File Explorer' and some other links that were there before. Not that big of a deal. I'll research and if I find a fix i'll post it here.

Saturday, March 28, 2015 2:05 AM
  • Hi Bigmachini & Malik,

Based on your issue, if you have update message about your issue now, please share me the latest message about your issue.

@johnnyysc222, if you think that it is a bug in Windows 10041. I suggest you could try the pvdg42's suggestion to report this through the Windows Feedback app installed in your Win 10.

Or you could try to post this issue directly to this Windows 10 forum:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=WinPreview2014 , maybe you will get better support.

In addition, if you have solved this issue, you could share this solution here so that help other member encountered same issue.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Monday, March 30, 2015 7:36 AM