none
Custom Word Add-in does not load RRS feed

• Question

• My custom Word add-in doesn't load in Windows 10 with Office 2013 (32-bit), if "Require Application Add-ins to be signed by Trusted Publisher" and “Disable notification for unsigned add-ins (code will remain disabled)” check-boxes are selected in “Add-ins” tab under “Trust Center Settings” of Microsoft Word. My macro setting is set to enable all.

If I go to "Com Add-Ins" my custom add-in is unchecked and says, "Not Loaded. The user selected to disable macros." The add-in is pointing to location "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mscoree.dll".

This issue does not occur in Windows 7 with Office 2013 (32-bit) with same settings. I noticed "mscoree.dll" is not signed in Windows 10 (no Digital Signature" tab present in properties), but signed in Windows 7. Is there a patch or solution for this issue which works with same settings?
    Friday, December 15, 2017 1:48 PM

All replies

• Hi VPS365,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Refer to your description, your issue is about the Visual Studio Tools for Office development. Our forum is to discuss the .NET Framework setup, I will help you move this thread to the appropriate forum to seek for a better support, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, December 18, 2017 2:38 AM
  • Hello VPS365,

If you enable these setting options in word, word application will check digital signature for each add-in when loading it. If any add-in does not have digital signature or its digital signature does not come from a trusted publisher, word application would disable the add-in. So what you need to do is signing your application with a trusted publisher.

Please try to refer to below articles to do this work.

Add, remove, or view a trusted publisher

Plan and configure Trusted Publishers settings for Office 2013

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 8:55 AM
  • Hi Terry,

My application is already signed and it works properly on Windows 7 with Office 2013 for same security settings checked in. It doesn't work on Windows 10.

Please see a similar problem listed below (search on Google with the text as I am unable to post links) where MS confirmed it as known issue. I am not sure it is fixed now.

• Power Query add-in won't load
    • Excel 2013 Power Query Does Not Have a Pulisher
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 1:16 PM
  • Hi VPS365,

Do you mean links below?

#Power Query add-in won't load

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b32bee8e-a321-4c4f-a329-3fd8f377dce3/power-query-addin-wont-load?forum=powerquery

#Excel 2013 Power Query Does Not Have a Pulisher

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/27f2998b-cabc-4773-a0a7-6bc83fde397c/excel-2013-power-query-does-not-have-a-pulisher?forum=powerquery

If you go to File-> Options->Add-Ins->Disabled Items->Go,

Did you find the mscoree.dll listed? If there is, enable it and try again.Best Regards,

Tao Zhou

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 9:02 AM
  • Hi Tao,

The links you mentioned are the correct ones.

There is nothing in "Disabled Items". I do this kind of troubleshooting since a long time. I have checked all places including registry for Load Behavior. Everything is proper.

Just to show why it is due to unsigned mscoree.dll present in "C:\Windows\SysWOW64" or "C:\Windows\System32", I have signed this dll with My organization's Authenticode Code Signing digital certificate and replaced it at same location. My add-in loaded after that properly.

Is it possible for Microsoft Team to sign it and release a patch? I have a number of big US government clients using my application who are affected due to this.

Can I keep a private copy of mscoree.dll in my application?

How can I log an incident and get a contact number of appropriate contact person from MS team? We are MS partners in Application Development competency. Will that help in getting expedite support?

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 11:13 AM
  • Hi VPS365,

Thanks for sharing the solution.

To be honesty, we do not have internal channel to contact MS Office Team.

For personal support, I suggest you visit the below link to see various free and paid support options to contact Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Best Regards,

Tao Zhou

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 12:20 PM