none
How to get planned % complete based on number of days RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:
    I a trying to figure out a way(best way) to determine a "planned % complete" simply based on the number of days in a task.

For example:
    Task Start Date = 3/1/15
    Task Finish Date = 3/20/15
    So the task is 20 days long

Today is 3/10/15 so "planned % complete" should be 50%

(Today-Start) / (Finish-Start)
    =
    ((3/10/15)-(3/1/15)) / ((3/20/15)-(3/1/15))
    =
    (10) / (20)
    =
    50%

Do I just enter this into a custom field as a formula or is there a better way of doing this?

Also, when I tried to do this with a formula, it did not apply to the roll up tasks. So, the bolded tasks were blank.

I am trying to get to a calculated number of the % I should be completed based on the current date and length of the task. I realize this might not be the best way so any
    suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I would like to be able to look at my project and see that I am 35% complete, but I should be 50%.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

I am using MS Project 2010.

Thanks
    kp

Friday, February 20, 2015 12:07 PM

All replies

• Hi kp,

You are typically asking for Earned Value indicators. You could of course use the kind of formula you are refering to, but have in mind that MS Project proposes by default a large number of EV fields, such as CPI, SPI and all variance fields. Although it requires a certain maturity in scheduling (cost, baselines, status date, tracking), it will provide you a large set of EV indicators out of the box.

See an excellent article here.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Friday, February 20, 2015 1:44 PM
  • Although the use of % Planned is debatable for accuracy/usefulness, I can understand that some PMs ask for it.

Here is an exmaple of how to do it: http://niksprojects.com/blog/?p=126

A better of doing it is the way Guillaume suggested, using EVM.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Friday, February 20, 2015 2:23 PM
  • When updating your tasks you have to enter actual dates and progress, so any planned % complete has to be based on Baseline Start and finished.

abs(ProjDateDiff([Status Date],[Baseline Start],[Project Calendar]))/[Baseline Duration]*100 & "%"

The above formula requires a status date and a baseline, so you need to wrapt the above with iif statements to test for them.

Alternatively, use earned value as Guillaume suggested

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Sunday, February 22, 2015 9:15 PM