What's the best current 'bang-for-buck' portable developer's workstation??

General discussion

• Until recently, I was using a borrowed ASUS G53SW (i7 quad-core@2Ghz, 8gigs ram, SSD boot drive) and it ran VS2012 "OK" under windows 8 (maybe a tad sluggish compiling!)

Now I need to buy a new workstation, and I'd PREFER it to be a notebook.

Touchscreen, and as much compiling power as possible (without breaking the bank!) - is there anything out there for $1000-1500 ?

What is everyone else using? I don't see too many touchscreen notebooks with quad-core i7s.

Anyone comment on the relative performance of an i5, or various AMD processors perhaps?

As far as recent machines go - I've only ever used the i7 quad, and a 2012 Mac mini dual core (which was a real slug under boot camp).. before that i was running a dual core Athlon (a couple years back).

Is the quad-core (8 threads) really getting put to good use with VS2012 express?

Is there really that much of a performance difference between any of these modern 2 to 3 Ghz machines? (i5, i7, etc)

(If there is I might have to bite the bullet and put together a desktop system... would prefer something portable though!)

I have played around with the simulator, but i think there is no substitute for a real touch screen, and thats really limiting my notebook options at present!

All comments and suggestions are gratefully appreciated!

• Changed type Jesse Jiang Thursday, January 03, 2013 2:16 AM
    Monday, December 31, 2012 8:35 AM

All replies

• There must be something wrong with that quad core i7 system if it was "sluggish" in VS2012. I use a Samsung Series 7 slate (dual core i5 with external kb, mouse, and monitor for development) and it runs VS2012 fine.
    Monday, December 31, 2012 6:51 PM
  • Hi,

This forum is talking about Windows Store App programming. I think this question has less relationship with programming. I will change type as discussion.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,
    Jesse

Jesse Jiang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 2:38 AM
  • There must be something wrong with that quad core i7 system if it was "sluggish" in VS2012. I use a Samsung Series 7 slate (dual core i5 with external kb, mouse, and monitor for development) and it runs VS2012 fine.

Well, "a tad sluggish" just means slower than i expected. Could just be the honkin big project I was working with!

Anyway, as fate had it, i ended up seeing a DELL Inspiron 7720 on sale, so jumped on that and ordered one. Will be putting in a 256G SSD - i'm under the impression fast HD and lots of RAM are both helpful to speed up VS2012 - as well as the quad-core (8-thread) i7...

dis da beeest  :-)

3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM (6MB cache, up to 3.4Ghz)
    17.3" Full High Definition (1080p) LED Display with Anti-Glare
    8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory
    1TB 5400RPM SATA HDD + 32GB mSATA SSD w/ Intel Smart Response
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M GDDR5 2GB
    8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
    Stealth Black Anodized Aluminum
    48 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Battery
    Intel® Centrino® Wireless 2230, 2x2 bgn + Bluetooth
    Skullcandy Speakers with WaveMaxx 4.0
    Integrated 10/100 Network Card
    English Backlit Keyboard with Multi-touch Touchpad
    Intel® Centrino® Wireless 2230, 2x2 bgn + Bluetooth

Will post VS2102 results when time permits...

Sunday, January 06, 2013 7:01 AM
  • I always use a desktop for app development.

I run an AMD 4.2GHz processor with 8GB RAM.

n.Wright

Monday, January 07, 2013 4:33 PM