none
Workflow locked - unable to approve, change or reassign Approval Workflow Task

Question

• I have an approval workflow attached to a form library.  On one item, it appears to be locked and the user cannot approve the task.  There are suggestions to go into the task itself and change the due date if it is overdue (which it is) but it won't allow me to do that either. 

I have SharePoint Manager 2013 - is there somewhere in there where I can unlock this workflow?  Our business is audited so I am not able to delete this item or workflow.

Thank you

Monday, March 27, 2017 4:07 AM

All replies

• Hi kelsnz,

From your description, you create an approval workflow on a form library, the user cannot approve the task for just one special item.

Check whether the site administrator can approve the task.

Make sure the user have permission to approve the task.

Besides, please check the error message of ULS log  to determine the exact cause of the error. ULS log is at:      
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\LOGS

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 6:55 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

I think I've delved a bit deeper.  So, when I checked the Workflow history inside the item, you can see the first task is completed and it has created the next task.  But, in the actual history below, its not saying that the first task was completed.

If I go into the task list, the first task is saying its completed and approved.  If I go into the history list of the workflow, there are no entries saying its been completed.  This user is now also getting notifications saying that they haven't completed their task...

Help!

Thursday, March 30, 2017 4:09 AM
  • Also the two below error messages in logs

Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: This task is currently locked by a running workflow and cannot be edited.   
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItem.PrepareItemForUpdate(SPWeb web, Boolean bMigration, Boolean& bAdd, Boolean& bPublish, Object& objAttachmentNames, Object& objAttachmentContents)    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItem.UpdateInternal(Boolean bSystem, Boolean bPreserveItemVersion, Guid newGuidOnAdd, Boolean bMigration, Boolean bPublish, Boolean bNoVersion, Boolean bCheckOut, Boolean bCheckin, Boolean suppressAfterEvents, String filename, Boolean bPreserveItemUIVersion)    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItem.Update()    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowTask.AlterTask(SPListItem task, Hashtable htData, Boolean fSynchronous)    
     at Microsoft.Office.Workflow.WrkTaskIPPage.XmlFormControl_OnClose(Object sender, EventArgs e)    
     at Microsoft.Office.InfoPath.Server.Controls.XmlFormView.CloseDocument(EventLogStart eventLogStart)    
     at Microsoft.Office.InfoPath.Server.Controls.XmlFormView.PlayServerMessages(EventLogStart eventLogStart)    
     at Microsoft.Office.InfoPath.Server.Controls.XmlFormView.OnDataBindHelper()    
     at Microsoft.Office.InfoPath.Server.Controls.XmlFormView.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e)    
     at System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts.Part.DataBind()    
     at System.Web.UI.Control.DataBindChildren()    
     at System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind(Boolean raiseOnDataBinding)    
     at Microsoft.Office.Workflow.WrkTaskIPPage.OnLoad(EventArgs ea)    
     at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()    
     at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Getting Error Message for Exception System.Web.HttpUnhandledException (0x80004005): Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. ---> Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: This task is currently locked by a running workflow and cannot be edited.    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItem.PrepareItemForUpdate(SPWeb web, Boolean bMigration, Boolean& bAdd, Boolean& bPublish, Object& objAttachmentNames, Object& objAttachmentContents)    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItem.UpdateInternal(Boolean bSystem, Boolean bPreserveItemVersion, Guid newGuidOnAdd, Boolean bMigration, Boolean bPublish, Boolean bNoVersion, Boolean bCheckOut, Boolean bCheckin, Boolean suppressAfterEvents, String filename, Boolean bPreserveItemUIVersion)    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItem.Update()    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowTask.AlterTask(SPListItem task, Hashtable htData, Boolean fSynchronous)    
     at Microsoft.Office.Workflow.WrkTaskIPPage.XmlFormControl_OnClose(Object sender, EventArgs e)    
     at Microsoft.Office.InfoPath.Server.Controls.XmlFormView.CloseDocument(EventLogStart eventLogStart)    
     at Microsoft.Office.InfoPath.Server.Controls.XmlFormView.PlayServerMessages(EventLogStart eventLogStart)    
     at Microsoft.Office.InfoPath.Server.Controls.XmlFormView.OnDataBindHelper()    
     at Microsoft.Office.InfoPath.Server.Controls.XmlFormView.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e)    
     at System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts.Part.DataBind()    
     at Microsoft.Office.Workflow.WrkTaskIPPage.OnLoad(EventArgs ea)    
     at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()    
     at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)    
     at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)    
     at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)    
     at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()    
     at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)    
     at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()    
     at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Thursday, March 30, 2017 4:21 AM