SQL Server and SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• I have SQL Server 2008 Express Advanced and I'm trying to connect it to SharePoint through SharePoint Designer, but it wouldn't display as a data view or in gridview, I get a generic error with no information.  Now I was told it was not possible to connect Express to SharePoint, but you could with Developer's Edition.  Anyone know if this is true?  I would hate to have to install DE after I got everything set up.  Remote connections are enabled and I just can't believe this is not possible.

Thanks!

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, July 1, 2010 2:21 PM spd questions except for wf go to design/Customization (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 2:10 PM

Answers

• I  have couple of questions before I can comment on the error message. When you mention "connect" I am assuming you have a Sharepoint working environment and you are trying to customize the same via SharePoint designer .Please confirm ..

Which version of SharePoint designer and SharePoint are you using  ? Can you please post the exact error message that you get when you try to connect .

If connectivity to the site itself is not working from SharePoint designer it could be a either your client or server firewall or some customizations.

Also please let us know what is the end goal as in  are you making connections to an external database after  you've opened the site with designer.. If yes and you would want the Visual studio approach below is a link you may want to try
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sharepoint/archive/2010/03/01/walkthrough-of-enabling-crud-for-sharepoint-2010-external-lists-using-visual-studio-2010.aspx

=========================================

Manas-MSFT

• Marked as answer by Stanfford Liu Friday, July 16, 2010 6:42 AM
    Friday, July 9, 2010 12:07 AM