Windows Store C++ Blank App crashes on startup without any changes after creating

Question

• I created the Visual C++ Windows Store Blank App (XAML) in Visual Studio 2012. I made no changes to it. I compiled and ran. The app appears with the box with the X inside of it, then the application breaks inside App.g.hpp inside the UnhandledException handler. e->Message is empty. If I continue, I get popups with the following 2 messages:

Unhandled exception at 0x0FB61CF7 (Windows.UI.Xaml.dll) in HelloWorld.exe: 0xC000027B: An application-internal exception has occurred (parameters: 0x03AE7F78, 0x00000001).

Unhandled exception at 0x76822722 (combase.dll) in HelloWorld.exe: 0xC0000602:  A fail fast exception occurred. Exception handlers will not be invoked and the process will be terminated immediately.

What further steps can I take to debug this? Without a decent error message I don't even know where to start. Searching the web came up with nothing.

Sunday, July 21, 2013 9:08 PM

Answers

• Hmmm. There's something unique about your situation as I'm not able to repro this on my Windows 8 x64 system with VS 2012 Update 3. I create the blank app, build, and run it without any problem or any exceptions being thrown.

You might want to try running repair on your VS 2012 install to make sure there's not something corrupted in your system.

Monday, July 22, 2013 5:35 AM

All replies

• Have you enabled "break on exception" to see where the exception is thrown?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/d14azbfh.aspx

Sunday, July 21, 2013 9:15 PM
  • It's not breaking anywhere else even when telling it break on all C++ exceptions. It appears that the exception is occurring in internal Win RT code.
    Sunday, July 21, 2013 9:21 PM
  • Hmmm. There's something unique about your situation as I'm not able to repro this on my Windows 8 x64 system with VS 2012 Update 3. I create the blank app, build, and run it without any problem or any exceptions being thrown.

You might want to try running repair on your VS 2012 install to make sure there's not something corrupted in your system.

Monday, July 22, 2013 5:35 AM