Can the Personal db be written to some how? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1833980242 posted

I am working with the ASP.net Personal Website Starter Kit. I am trying to add more data to the db so I can modify the website. I have been able to attach the Personal db to my instance of Sql Server Express.

I found out that the database is read only. I tried to run Sql Server as Administrator but that didn't fix this problem.

I am trying to avoid rewriting the db for fear of creating a probem somewhere else in the app. I am new to asp.net and I don't want to complicate things any more than needed at this point.

Is there a way I can make this not read-only? Do I have to rewrite the db?  

Oh ueah, I just remembered that if I create a new "friend"account then I should be able to upload pictures to the db. Is this the best way to do this. Am I complicating this unneccesarily with the method mentioned above?

-thanks

Saturday, March 22, 2008 11:34 AM

Answers

• User1052258516 posted

If you are attaching the database to the instance then you might have to make sure that the Network Service account in Windows has Read/Write access to the app_data folder/files in your web site.  To do this properly you need to do two things, make sure that your SQL Server instance is not running and you don't have VS/Cassini Web Server running (the little icon in the system tray is active).

Hope this helps

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 12:45 PM
  • User-125674096 posted

You can easily edit the data and design in the full version of visual studio - you can download a trial. Just go the database explorer tab.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 10:44 AM

All replies

• User1052258516 posted

If you are attaching the database to the instance then you might have to make sure that the Network Service account in Windows has Read/Write access to the app_data folder/files in your web site.  To do this properly you need to do two things, make sure that your SQL Server instance is not running and you don't have VS/Cassini Web Server running (the little icon in the system tray is active).

Hope this helps

Saturday, March 22, 2008 12:45 PM
  • User-125674096 posted

You can easily edit the data and design in the full version of visual studio - you can download a trial. Just go the database explorer tab.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 10:44 AM