none
specify VSTOLocal string for Manifest registry entry in VSTO Addin deployment using Clickonce RRS feed

• Question

• I have developed a VSTO Excel Application level Addin that gets installed by Clickonce installer.

I always want the Addin to use the VSTO file that is available in the installation location rather than using from the clickonce cache. This can be achieved by appending the value "|VSTOLocal" to Manifest registry key of the Addin. After the installing the Addin i see the Manifest registry entry to be 

file:///C:/Users/XXX/Desktop/TestAddin/TestAddin.vsto

This is want to change it to 

file:///C:/Users/XXX/Desktop/TestAddin/TestAddin.vsto|VstoLocal

At present i need to do this manually but Is there any way of doing this via the clickonce installer i know i can do this with MSI package but i want to keep the set up simple. Is there any setting etc in visual studio that will help me to append this string to the manifest key??

Thursday, February 12, 2015 4:01 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Nope. ClickOnce doesn't provide custom actions like the Windows Installer does.

Thursday, February 12, 2015 4:26 PM
  • Hi Chidiac,

Thanks for the reply. We do not publish the solution but deliver the .vsto file and the required DLLs. Looks like there is no way to set this registry entry. As Eugene suggested i think i have to create a windows installer for this. :( 

Friday, February 13, 2015 6:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I understand that you want to be able to update easly your addin for all users.
    That right ?

In VS, if you right clic on your project and then choose property, on the tab "Publish" you can set update parameters.
    And you can chose to check the version at each launch.

Then, when you publish your vsto in your installation location, users who use your addin will always use the last version.

• Edited by Chidiac Sami Thursday, February 12, 2015 4:29 PM
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 4:09 PM
  • Hello,

Nope. ClickOnce doesn't provide custom actions like the Windows Installer does.

Thursday, February 12, 2015 4:26 PM
  • Hi Chidiac,

Thanks for the reply. We do not publish the solution but deliver the .vsto file and the required DLLs. Looks like there is no way to set this registry entry. As Eugene suggested i think i have to create a windows installer for this. :( 

Friday, February 13, 2015 6:59 AM