Proximity & Pairing

Question

• Hi,

In windows8, Is pairing mandatory for proximity devices?

If NO, how can the driver informs to the proximity sub system of windows that the device doesn't require pairing

Monday, June 18, 2012 10:29 AM

Answers

• Can you clarify the question please? Are you asking if two devices need to be paired before they can communicate over proximity? If so, the answer is no, pairing is never required or even helpful.

-Mike [MSFT]

Thursday, June 21, 2012 12:29 AM
  • What kind of devices are interested in connecting using proximity and what kind of connection? Also, what sort of handshake are you meaning? Do you just want some way to know whether you've connected to a particular device before? If so, you'd have to figure that out by communicating with the device. The proximity platform doesn't have a way of tracking the identity of devices that you tap with.

-Mike [MSFT]

Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:24 PM
  • You can certainly build such a handshake using the proximity APIs, assuming the device you are communicating with supports identifying itself, but the proximity platform doesn't have a way of tracking the identity of devices that you tap with.

-Mike [MSFT]

Thursday, June 21, 2012 7:14 PM

All replies

• Wzybca,

I will look into this for you.

Best Wishes - Eric

Monday, June 18, 2012 2:43 PM
  • Can you clarify the question please? Are you asking if two devices need to be paired before they can communicate over proximity? If so, the answer is no, pairing is never required or even helpful.

-Mike [MSFT]

Thursday, June 21, 2012 12:29 AM
  • Hi Mike

Thank You for your reply.

I agree pairing is not helpful OR required for proximity devices. I would like to have some kind of simple handshake on both sides while connecting proximity devices & that too should be optional. Is there any way to do that?

OR Is it better to do these handshake operations in custom Metro app which can be auto launched upon proximity device connection?

• Edited by IamMuru Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:53 AM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:47 AM
  • What kind of devices are interested in connecting using proximity and what kind of connection? Also, what sort of handshake are you meaning? Do you just want some way to know whether you've connected to a particular device before? If so, you'd have to figure that out by communicating with the device. The proximity platform doesn't have a way of tracking the identity of devices that you tap with.

-Mike [MSFT]

Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:24 PM
  • Yes, you are correct. The handshake what I've meant is to know whether the device has been connected before.

To be more clear, I just want to know whether proximity platform has any such support for handshake. I was wondering if proximity platform allows any kind of customization in pairing to take care of these handshake scenarios.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:56 PM
  • You can certainly build such a handshake using the proximity APIs, assuming the device you are communicating with supports identifying itself, but the proximity platform doesn't have a way of tracking the identity of devices that you tap with.

-Mike [MSFT]

Thursday, June 21, 2012 7:14 PM