Automatically GET latest RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings:

I am not sure if this is an issue, feature or a configuration error on our side with VSS2005 as compared against VSS2003.

In Studio 2003 (w. inbuilt Source Sage), whenever any of my team member checks-in a file, the same is updated in our Solution/Project automatically (without mandating us to do explicit <Get latest files>

Is there a way to configure what I had as one of the productive feature in VSS2003 now into VSS2005?

Appreciate your help/comments.

Friday, December 8, 2006 9:41 AM

Answers

• Hi Delphy,

There is no such feature (in either VS2002, 2003 or 2005) that does automatically Get immediately when another team member checks in a new version of an existing file.

The closest thing to "automatically gets" is setting Tools -> Options -> Source Control -> Environment -> "Get everything when opening a solution or project". With this setting on, when you open the solution you'll be prompted with a Get dialog pre-populated with all the files in your solution.

Is it possible you're using a 3rd party tool that monitors new files or new versions in VSS database and that addin works only with VS2003?

Or is it possible that in VS2003 you were working with FrontPage projects (non-isolated mode for web projects), in which all teammates work on the same files/enlistment? (you can also achieve the same effect with isolated web projects if you delete the suo files, but that is a user mistake leading to undesired effects)

Alin

Monday, December 18, 2006 6:30 PM

All replies

• I'm not 100% certain that this is the feature you're describing, but look in Tools -> Options -> Source Control -> Environment: you can adjust how often VS runs Get in the background in response to various events.
    Friday, December 15, 2006 12:09 AM
  • Hi Delphy,

There is no such feature (in either VS2002, 2003 or 2005) that does automatically Get immediately when another team member checks in a new version of an existing file.

The closest thing to "automatically gets" is setting Tools -> Options -> Source Control -> Environment -> "Get everything when opening a solution or project". With this setting on, when you open the solution you'll be prompted with a Get dialog pre-populated with all the files in your solution.

Is it possible you're using a 3rd party tool that monitors new files or new versions in VSS database and that addin works only with VS2003?

Or is it possible that in VS2003 you were working with FrontPage projects (non-isolated mode for web projects), in which all teammates work on the same files/enlistment? (you can also achieve the same effect with isolated web projects if you delete the suo files, but that is a user mistake leading to undesired effects)

Alin

Monday, December 18, 2006 6:30 PM