none
How create a SOAP-compliant Web service using COM technology RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to understand how a java web service and the Research Service in Microsoft Office can exchange data. I've read from this tutorial that "..To create your own custom provider, you need to create a Web service. This is most easily done creating an ASP.NET Web service using Microsoft Visual Studio .NET , but you can create one using Microsoft Visual Studio .NET  or you can create a SOAP-compliant Web service using COM technology. "

How is done a 'SOAP-compliant Web service using COM technology'? Can I use it as it is?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/bb226691%28v=office.11%29.aspx

Thanks a lot for any helps.

Fairlie

• Moved by Cindy Meister MVPModerator Friday, February 21, 2014 11:53 AM not Word-specific, so best addressed in General Office Development
    Friday, February 21, 2014 11:06 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello everybody,
    I have been wondering if I can add custom web services with the wsdl file extension via the Research Pane in Microsoft Word 2003.
    I have searched just about every site that has those services, but no luck finding instructions.
    I found a tutorial on Microsoft's website, it's very good...but use C# and I have no knowledge of it.

Basically, what I would like to be able to do is add a java web service to Word and be able to send queries via the research pane. 

Many thanks.

• Edited by Fairlie74 Thursday, February 20, 2014 3:03 PM
    • Moved by Cindy Meister MVPModerator Friday, February 21, 2014 11:53 AM not Word-specific, so best addressed in General Office Development
    • Merged by George HuaModerator Monday, February 24, 2014 4:51 AM similar issue
    Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:54 PM
  • Hello Fairlie74,

You can add your own form where you can do whatever you need, not to customize the existing Research pane. The Custom Task Panes section in MSDN describes custom Office panes in depth. Also you may find the How to: Add a Custom Task Pane to an Application and Walkthrough: Synchronizing a Custom Task Pane with a Ribbon Button articles helpful. But to get the pane working you have to develop an add-in. Here is the landing page in MSDN for getting started.

• Marked as answer by Fairlie74 Tuesday, March 11, 2014 1:51 PM
    Thursday, February 20, 2014 6:16 PM
  • Hi Eugene, maybe I had explained bad myself.
    I need to do what is done in here but using java:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/bb226691%28v=office.11%29.aspx

I've developed a java web service and now I have to connect it to word via the Custom Research Service
    I do not know what are the schemas that are shared between Office and my provider and how to re-write in java the Register method.

Friday, February 21, 2014 9:23 AM
  • Hello Fairlie74,

For more information about each element in the schema for a Registration response, see the Microsoft Office Research Service 2003 Software Development Kit (SDK). It should provide all the required info.

Friday, February 21, 2014 8:15 PM
  • Hello Fairlie74,

Did you have a chance to look at the Office 2003 Research Services Software Development Kit (SDK)  

Friday, February 21, 2014 9:01 PM
  • Why do you want to create a web service using COM?

The native library for web services is Windows Web Services

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

Friday, February 21, 2014 9:06 PM
  • I cannot use Windiws Web Services because I have already a java web service to use and also I have zero knowledge of C# or VisualBasic languages
    Monday, February 24, 2014 2:00 PM
  • Hi Eugene,

thanks for your replies. I looked at the Office 2003 Research Services SDK and I understand that It provides  with a set of Web methods(in C#) for developing information services that are searchable with the Microsoft Office 2003 Research feature.

That's ok but I have already a web service developed in Java, I do not need to developing another one using the Office SDK. What I need now is to translate the 2 methods,Registration and Query, from C# to Java into my web service using java. I have read that these 2 methods, Registrazion and Query are the only 2 things I need to let talk Word with my java ws.

My question was to see if someone else had already faced the same problem as before: to let talk Research Services Word with my java ws and how he had solved the problem.

Fairlie

Monday, February 24, 2014 2:24 PM
  • Hi Fairlie,

According to The Definitive Hello World Custom Research Service Tutorial (Fro Word 2007 - Creating a Research Service for Word 2007 in C# with Visual Studio 2008), we can create an asp.net xml web service to contact with Research Services.

I’m not good at Java. The point is how to create a same web service by Java to contact with Research Services.

MSDN doesn’t provide such sample and Java is not support here, but you could get support from Java forums.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:21 AM