none
Assembly version information and actually updating the Assembly in Build/Release

Question

• We noticed two issues with Assembly references from a U-SQL database.  In this case we are adding a custom helper assembly in the master database named "USQLBaseLibrary".

1. If in our U-SQL Database Project we update a user-written assembly, it does not get updated during out Azure DevOps Release.
    2. Once we finally do via our "workaround", in the Portal Data Explorer the "version=" of the assembly is always "0.0.0.0"

Issue 1:

In the master db project our Assembly is referenced to the project output folder (using the designer).  The master db Project properties has checked the "Allow drop statement".  The USQL code is to "CREATE ASSEMBLY IF NOT EXISTS [USQLBaseLibrary]".  However, when the Release is created and run on the Azure environment, the Assembly is NOT replaced/updated.  The workaround we've found to work is in VS2017, in the Assembly reference manually insert a DROP ASSEMBLY followed by the CREATE ASSEMBLY (the designer doesn't like this showing a "Script and Design views are not synchronized due to error in the script" but allows to save the file):

After the DevOps Build and Release, I can then see the .dll updated and the Assembly (re)created.

Issue 2:

When I refresh the Data Explorer in the Azure Portal, I click on the Assembly residing in the master database - it always shows a version of "0.0.0.0" when it SHOULD show the actual build version (1.0.0.120 in this case) - can someone verify if this is a bug?:

However, I've identified that the dll actual Build Number is correct both in downloading the file and viewing the Property Details:

...and doing a right-click "Reflect" from the VS2017 Data Lake Analytics explorer:

Thank you in advance!

Bill Blakey

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 9:22 PM

All replies

• Thanks Bill . 

We need to circle back with the internal teams and get more info on this . We will share more info once we hear back from them . 

Thanks Himanshu

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 6:46 PM
  • Thank you!

Bill Blakey

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 9:17 PM