none
V8 Control Zoom Past 20 RRS feed

All replies

• Hi JBrady412,

That is correct, the V8 control does not zoom past 20.  Can you tell me more about your scenario that requires that level of zoom?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, April 4, 2019 5:13 PM
    Owner
  • Hi IoTGirl,

We consume other vendor maps that go down to zoom 24.  We handle this now using a modal but I thought I read somewhere that BING handled up to 21 now.  I guess I was wrong. I also know that you used to be able to use that hack in the V7 control to do this.  Do you know if this is something coming for the V8 control?  I checked the experimental branch but no luck.  Thanks much for your input.

Friday, April 5, 2019 1:12 PM
  • Hi JBrady412,

There was a conscious decision to limit the control but I don't know the history.  It does seem that the tile system does go below 20 as described here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/bingmaps/articles/bing-maps-tile-system

If you are willing to share more detail on your specific scenario I can present that to our V8 control Team for review if you wish.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, April 5, 2019 8:41 PM
    Owner
  • Hi IoTGirl,

Thanks again for following up.  At this point I think I am ok with leaving this as just knowing we can't go past 20 in the v8 control.  I think we are going to follow up with our rep.  Appreciate it!  Have a good one.

Monday, April 8, 2019 2:40 PM
  • Hi JBrady412,

You can let your REP know that you have been working with the Bing Maps Customer Advisory Team.  I am happy to help escalate to the engineering team as needed but they will likely ask for a business need and justification.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, April 8, 2019 8:07 PM
    Owner
  • Hi IoTGirl,

Me again, not sure if you will see this or not.  If not i will create a new threat.  Do you know if there are any plans or if the current control will work with offline maps like the UWP control or the maps app in Windows 10?  Thanks as always.

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 4:48 PM
  • Hi JBrady412,

It really depends what you mean by "Current Control".  The Web control literally relies on the web caching and will never support offline maps. Controls that reside in Windows we can ensure the maps remain secure so storing offline is not an issue.  I hope that clarifies.  Do you have a specific scenario you would like the team to review?

NOTE: Our recent TOU update does allow you to use our geocodes on a competitors map so you can use a built in device map for off-line scenarios if that is what you need.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 6:02 PM
    Owner
  • Hey IoTGirl,

Thanks for the reply.  I meant the v8 web control, sorry should have been more specific.  Thanks for the answer, I just wanted to get confirmation that the web control would not ever work with offline maps which you stated, so thanks very much.  Have a good one.

Thursday, April 11, 2019 6:04 PM
  • Again, it does use web caching but there is no way to guarantee storage access through a browser so offline maps is kind of a non-starter in that environment (and is basically why browser cache exists)
    Thursday, April 11, 2019 7:11 PM
    Owner