Tailored Metro Print App Driver UI crashes if debugger attached and SaveRequested not called.

Question

• Setup:

I have a Customer Preview 1 x64 Dev system (HP z800) that I’m using to develop a Tailored Driver UI for a Metro Style Device Application. I have both my application and the Print extension app sample (http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Printer-extension-app-44235a19) associated using device metadata files with different printers (my app to a HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus and the sample to HP Deskjet 3050A J611).  Both applications are in C# and using the inbox V4 class drivers.

Issues:

1. If I try to attach or run the debugger on the OnActivated Event for bring up the custom driver UI the splash screen is displayed, then the print charm closes. Print Driver Host and Tailored Metro app main running.  I can step through the OnActivated  initialization code. But as soon as let debug continue to display the XAML UI the UI goes way.  If I break all I do not see any good stack info, just Main Application.Start() and native code. If I delay attaching to the metro app using the simulator to until after the UI is displayed, it just closes. It is like the Suspending happening when to debugger attaches (in the simulator with not break points hit)   
    2. On both my app and MS sample app the SaveRequested event is not being fired. When I started seeing issues with my application I downloaded the 2/29 sample and can reproduce the same issues.

I have had other developers try the same debugging Scenarios with same results. If I use another printer and go through the metadata registration, deploying a fresh metro app, and install new queue.  I can debug OK with sample and my app, but can only be done few times and it gets in the bad state.

Know issues? Or do I need to dig deeper?

I can keep developing the UI with Mocked Print Extension Interfaces, but need to get the save ticket working.

Thanks

foo baby

Saturday, March 24, 2012 12:27 AM

Answers

• Thanks for reporting the issue. I brought it up with the team and they acknowledge the issue and they are looking into it.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 30, 2012 6:19 AM