ReportViewer - "Error Creating Control" RRS feed

• Question

• User-261864518 posted

When I drag reportviewer to my aspx page, instead of the smart tag populating with options to select, I get a box stating "Error Creating Control - ReportViewer1 Failed to create designer 'Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportViewer, Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=9.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' ".

This is a new local install with Visual WD 2008 Express and SQL Server 2005. I installed Microsoft Report Viewer Redistributable 2008, and modified my web.config under HttpHandlers:
    <add verb="*" path="Reserved.ReportViewerWebControl.axd" type = "Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.HttpHandler, Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=9.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />

Within a blank aspx page I have the following code which when compiled and ran the report runs fine, but it bothers me that the smart tag does not work.

<rsweb:ReportViewer ID="ReportViewer1" runat="server" Font-Names="Verdana"
    Font-Size="8pt" Height="100%" ProcessingMode="Remote" Width="100%">
    <ServerReport ReportPath="/SandBox/Report1"
    ReportServerUrl="http://localhost/reportserver" />
    </rsweb:ReportViewer>

The DLLs are listed under C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSI, but within the VWD the references do not display anything regarding reportviewer.

Has anyone seen this or know the cause? I have searched everywhere.

Monday, April 21, 2008 11:20 PM

All replies

• User-1853252149 posted

Install the 3.5 framework on the server or set VS 2008 to a 2.0 framework and rebuild.

Jeff

Monday, April 21, 2008 11:40 PM
  • User-261864518 posted

.NET 3.5 framework is already installed and set within VS target framework. I went ahead and switched to the 2.0 framework and rebuild the website and same results when I drag reportviewer onto a new web page.

Is there any other references I need to perform. I am lost here.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 9:16 AM
  • User-261864518 posted

Does anyone have any other input on this? Reportviewer control when dragged onto the design pad generates an error, but when coded manually the report generates fine, so almost like their is something wrong with the smarttag. I performed this install on two machines with the same results. XP SP2, VSWD 2008 Express, MS SQL Standard Edition, .NET 3.5, Reportviewer redistributable package from Microsoft.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 11:58 AM
  • User-1842880510 posted

As an update, Five years later in VS 2012 I am still seeing the same thing. 

Surely someone must have come up with a solution to this by now.

If not how about indicating the attributes to set in the controls tag to populate the values set by the smart tags.

Update:

I had to remove the 2 references for reportviewer from the references and add back the reference for Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms for version 11.0.0.0 show that assembly in the web.config, and register it on the page.  10.0.0.0 would not render even though this is a VS 2010 project running in VS 2012.  I then had to delete my reportviewer tag and replacee it with one from the toolbox.  Then I was able to see the smarttags.  Unfortunately having the smarttags did not help any as every attempt to run the app produced error from undefined datasource instance to undefined report.

Friday, August 9, 2013 12:24 PM