Selecting topology for Intranet for 400 users. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm designing Intranet for 400 users organization based on SharePoint Server 2010. Most of users access to Intranet from inside network by active directory user account. However user access the Intranet by mobile devices as well, which means SSL. Response time requirement is following that each pages need to be load to browser in 4 seconds.

Which topology to choose? How many servers in which role?

Kenny_I
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 5:51 AM

Answers

• There is way to little information to really guide you with accuracy. Whilst your number of users is very low, there is no indication of usage. There are also many other factors to consider in topology and capacity planning.

However, let's say you have an "average" usage and are using the most common "workloads" you can easily meet this requirement with a single SharePoint 2010 box and a single SQL server box. The requirement for SSL doesn't really impact this. However such a deployment has no resillience or HA and you cannot patch it without service outage.

Therefore you should think about two SharePoint boxes and two SQL servers as the minimum deployment to meet your needs and have HA.

Cheers
    Spence
    www.harbar.net
    Microsoft Certified Master | SharePoint 2007
    • Marked as answer by Kenny_I Monday, June 14, 2010 5:42 AM
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 6:51 AM