light switch RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a limit of number of tables that a lightswitch application can have?
    AYeldezian
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:28 AM

Answers

• Please use more informative thread titles that describe the question you are asking.
    Justin Anderson, LightSwitch Development Team
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:33 AM

All replies

• Please use more informative thread titles that describe the question you are asking.
    Justin Anderson, LightSwitch Development Team
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:33 AM
  • can you please let me know howmuch more information I need to describe my question ? I am asking if there was a limit of the number of tables in a light switch application?
    AYeldezian
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:04 PM
  • AYeldezian,

I have a test Lightswitch application using the AdventureWorks sample database. It is has 70 tables or so... Outside of the long amount of time it took to first connect to the DB and it can take a bit to load the VS solution, I don't believe that there is an arbitrary limit.

Is there a specific or theoretical number of tables you might create or connect to? (e.g. 100, 1000, 10000 ?) It would be interesting to see if the Lightswitch team hit any performance or capacity barriers.

-----
    MrStu
    • Proposed as answer by Stu Ryan Wednesday, February 1, 2012 6:16 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:30 PM
  • Thank you for your reply, it will be 100 ...  and also how many rows can we keep in the table without affecting the performance? we are planning to archive , I guess we need to know how often to archive the data.

thanks again.

AYeldezian
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:39 PM
  • AYeldezian,

I do not know where performance bottlenecks occur, but I suspect that that is an issue with the SQL database structure. Lightswitch has two parts – client and server. So operations occur at the client end, while others will occur on the server end. So if there are performance issues, I believe you would want them to all occur at the server end. I think Beth Massi did a tutorial on archiving, but I am not sure if it is what you are looking for (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bethmassi/archive/2011/11/18/using-the-save-and-query-pipeline-to-archive-deleted-records.aspx).

But, I am no expert on Lightswitch or databases… I’m a business guy (product manager) who happens to program and work with data intensive systems. Hopefully a member of the LS team or a community expert can answer your questions.

There are several community members might be able to advise you – Michael Washington (@ADefWebserver), Yann Duran (@yannduran), Paul Patterson (@PaulPatterson), and a whole host of others…

Good luck….

-----
    MrStu
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:05 PM
  • Thank you ;-)
    AYeldezian
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:12 PM