what will window 8 consumer preview upgrade path be?

Question

• hi

i have been waiting on window 8 consumer preview/beta  and i was wanting too no more on what kind of upgrade path it will have 

I am runing window 7 SP1 on 6GB ram 

i hoping that we can upgrade from window 7 too window 8 consumer preview so we can test evere thing with out lossing all are info and so on

Sunday, February 19, 2012 10:29 PM

All replies

• "Snow755" wrote in message news:b640566f-f2e2-48ee-a9b3-4d3ce0fe6a7d...

hi

i have been waiting on window 8 consumer preview/beta  and i was wanting too no more on what kind of upgrade path it will have 

I am runing window 7 SP1 on 6GB ram 

i hoping that we can upgrade from window 7 too window 8 consumer preview so we can test evere thing with out lossing all are info and so on

Be aware that at the end of the Beta a Clean install will be required to either return to Win7, or install the RTM product – you should never install a Beta on a ‘production’ system.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 10:34 PM
  • Hello, I'm using Windows Developer Preview and i'm also eager to try out Consumer Preview or any beta that is released...would I be required to do a clean install? I was happy to see that Developer Preview evaluation period has been postponed till Jan'2013, but if I have to perform a clean install, it would be a workload to install all my apps again..
    Monday, February 20, 2012 4:58 AM
  • Hi sarim_xyz,

I think Consumer's Preview will require a clean install and you may have to reinstall all the apps that were installed by you after Windows was installed. WDP is set to expire in March'12, but the coming beta and an RC that may follow it, as it did in the case of Windows7, may last upto 2013, but we have no official word on it as yet. 

Irfan

Monday, February 20, 2012 5:15 AM
  • On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 05:15:12 +0000, Irfanfare wrote:

WDP?is set?to expire in March'12, but the coming beta and an RC that may follow it, as it did in the case of Windows7, may last upto 2013, but we have no?official word on it?as yet.

One of the most recent updates has in fact extended the expiration to Jan
    2013. This has been widely posted about in this forum.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    The next generation of computers will have a "Warranty Expired"
    interrupt.

Monday, February 20, 2012 5:28 AM
  • Got it Paul, Run winver.exe, right ?

Irfan

But when I try it through Windows Explorer, File, Help, About Windows, I see a different result.
    • Edited by Irfanfare Monday, February 20, 2012 6:58 AM to complete
    Monday, February 20, 2012 6:30 AM
  • As with any MSFT beta/pre-release product, it will probably require a clean install--no upgrade path.  Why?  This will ensure the metrics that MSFT obtains is from a "sanitary" system and not from a system that has possible carry-over issues.
    • Edited by DarienHawk67 Monday, February 20, 2012 8:27 PM Clarity
    Monday, February 20, 2012 7:04 AM
  • hello Irfanfare, thank you for your reply. As for the expiry, actually the update KB 2671501 postponed the expiry date to 16th Jan' 2013 (according to my local time). so plz check if this particular update has been installed on your PC through Windows Update and then run winver.exe (after activating again) and you can see the postponed date.

And I guess I should install Windows 8 alongwith Windows 7, so that I have a main OS where I can work and Windows 8 to try out and enjoy :)

• Edited by sarim_xyz Monday, February 20, 2012 1:26 PM for correction
    Monday, February 20, 2012 1:18 PM
  • As with any MSFT beta/pre-release product, it will probably require a clean install--no upgrade path.  Why?  This will ensure the metrics that MSFT obtains is from a "sanitary" start and from a system that has possible carry-over issues.

I think you meant "and NOT from a system that has possible carry-over issues."

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Monday, February 20, 2012 1:35 PM
  • As for the expiry, actually the update KB 2671501 postponed the expiry date to 16th Jan' 2013

Hi sarim_xyz,

I have all my updates installed on my WDP x64, I have no update installed by that name yet running winver.exe shows an expiry of Jan 2013. Perhaps it's another update, if any.

Irfan

My mistake, the update KB 2671501 is there, installed on 17th Feb, don't know how I failed to see it.
    • Edited by Irfanfare Tuesday, February 21, 2012 11:39 AM to correct
    Monday, February 20, 2012 1:59 PM
  • As with any MSFT beta/pre-release product, it will probably require a clean install--no upgrade path.  Why?  This will ensure the metrics that MSFT obtains is from a "sanitary" start and from a system that has possible carry-over issues.
    I just hope they're thinking about this with regards to the settings that are stored in the cloud.  I really hope those are reset to default for the Consumer Preview and again for the finished product.  Ideally the user would be able to delete those manually at any point they chose as well.
    Monday, February 20, 2012 3:36 PM
  • This date of expiry is very strange. I have just ran the update KB 2671501, did a re-start and ran winver.xex. The date I had returned was 11/03/2012!

What's up?

Update: Did a second re-start and ran winver.exe again. This time it returned an expiry date of 15/01/2013
    Monday, February 20, 2012 5:31 PM

I think you meant "and NOT from a system that has possible carry-over issues."

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

OOps.  My bad.  IE 10 finally has a decent spell checker, but it sure can't fix my busted grammar.
    Monday, February 20, 2012 8:30 PM
  • This date of expiry is very strange. I have just ran the update KB 2671501, did a re-start and ran winver.xex. The date I had returned was 11/03/2012!

What's up?

Update: Did a second re-start and ran winver.exe again. This time it returned an expiry date of 15/01/2013

The KB article clearly describes the expiration date reset.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2671501

• Proposed as answer by SIRKEEN75 Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:57 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by SIRKEEN75 Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:57 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 8:38 PM
  •  I propose this as just a minor gliche in the cloud as this is still in its testing & development stage. Just try again and it should register in real-time and reset- if I said that corretly o(._.)o

We live to learn, We learn to develop, We develop to operate... o(._.)o

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:00 AM
  •  My suggestion is to install the Developer preview on a spare drive, run it+play with it+learn it+ love it- whatever! After all that, when Consumer Preview rolls out just use the "Easy Transfer" function within the Developer Preview and voila!- instant success of your files and settings imported from 7+to Win 8 DVP+to Windows 8 CP (Beta that is)

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:15 AM
  •  Same as answer just above: (Shhh... it's a secret) Just use your easy transfer to transfer all your settings onto a USB or DVD and open up easy transfer in the Consumer Preview and import them!... it's just that simple; however, you now owe me your soul if you try this and it works o(._.)o

P.S.- all other settings will be kept in the cloud presumably wait a minute... I think the aliens are listening

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:24 AM
  • On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 06:24:03 +0000, SIRKEEN75 wrote:

?Same as answer just above: (Shhh... it's a secret) Just use your easy transfer to transfer all your settings onto a USB or DVD and open up easy transfer in the Consumer Preview and import them!... it's just that simple; however, you now owe me your soul if you try this and it works o(._.)o

Easy Transfer, while useful, is not a complete solution. For one thing, it
    does not transfer application installs.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    You might have mail.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:40 AM
  • I agree Paul, however; it is the next best thing for those who don't have the rich experience that a person as yourself would. Most of us would know that you could make an iso image of the complete HDD and be able to pull off a fully installed system "re-birth" so to speak. The average user wouldn't so I don't think re-installing a few programs would be considered too much work; besides, the programs are still there in the system drive you just have to hunt them out and click on the .exe's- am I correct?

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 3:18 PM